LockedGerman Half post bottle?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
hartmans2
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/07 11:52:50 (permalink)

German Half post bottle?

Hi I am new to your forum and I have a question reguarding a bottle that I have. Got lost reading so many great threads with information but still a little lost trying to i.d this one. I don't have it here at my house at the moment so I will really be guessing at measurements but here goes...it is probably about 9" in H. The neck is probably 3-3.5" in length. I have photos I took a couple days ago but I hope I can get them posted correctly.
TIA for any information you might have
Theresa
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1983.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_2001.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1993.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1987.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1980.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1979.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1975.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1985.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1992.jpg

106 Replies Related Threads

farmerdan
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 13:26:29 (permalink)
    Honestly I've never seen anything quite like it but I can tell you It's pretty darn old - I would guess late 18th to early 19th century, and you're probably right about it being European in origin. There are a lot of guys here on the forum who know more than I so I hope to see some more posts on this thread. Mainly I just wanted to say Nice bottle - very crude and unique and the color is beautiful. Welcome to the forum!
    bostaurus
    • Total Posts : 2861
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 13:39:56 (permalink)
    Sure looks like a German half post but it is a very strange shape. Very cool bottle.

Always looking for veterinary bottles, American and foreign.
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 14:15:33 (permalink)
    Hi thanks for the Welcome to the board! I'm a glass collector and by instinct and experience I thought it was just so unusual. Mostly love the color and the wavy lines on the glass sides. I posted this on the Antiques board on ebay as I do sell there and the comments I got were that it was very old or very new. You all know the feel from glass and this doesn't have any newness "feel" to it. lol I am going to pick it up this afternoon to bring it back to my house for accurate measurements so that may help to determine what it was used for? the neck I can say is very very narrow....I can't get my pinky inside it much further than the first say 1/2" of the top of it. The body is of course 4 sided but it's very stout. Probably measures a good 5" wide on each side and I'm guessing that it's that plus or minus a inch in H on the sides. I was thinking it must have originally held something that needed to poured very slowly or in small quantity?
    Thanks for the comments so far. I am really curious about this bottle.

Theresa
    botlguy
    • Total Posts : 3868
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 15:54:01 (permalink)
    Remember, this is one guy's opinion. Explore farther.

It is definitely freeblown and made in the "German Half Post" style but in my opinion is contemporary, i.e. Not Old. I have seen a number of similar items currently for sale in stores such as Pier One and from a short distance look old. You mention a "feel" and I agree totally, old glass has a certain feel. Since I can not feel it I can't make comment on that. However, that is not the only clue. The color is wrong, the pontil is wrong, the neck is wrong, the collar is wrong. I believe you will be able to find very similar, if not identical items for sale that were manufactured in Taiwan or China or some such place. Any decent glass blower can produce such items.

That being said, I hope I am dead wrong. Mostly I am saying to examine it with care and get several opinions from experienced bottle collectors. Look for Contemporary sources that sell such items, home decorator stores, glass ware sales, import shops, etc. Good Luck

Jim Sinsley will buy or trade for WAW-WAW, Owls, "Littles", Oddities, Santa Ana, CA. or Coeur d' Alene, ID. bottles.
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 16:02:30 (permalink)
    Correct Measurements are as follows:

8.75" from top to bottom

Two sides of the body measure 4" in W and have protruding areas in the center of the glass that bulge out slightly. *I can feel it and see it* vertical waves? for lack of the term in the glass are much more pronounced on these two sides. Length is 5.25"

Other two sides measure wider at 4.25" and have a slight bump but not nearly as apparent as the other two sides. Still has the vertical waves but not as pronounces as the other two sides.

The top opening measures just 5/8" but you can see when you look down the neck that it narrows. Approx 1.5" down the neck my pinky can go no further so I I measured the tip of my finger at 1/2" so I believe that 1.5" down the neck is narrower that 1/2". Hope that makes sense! lol

Bottom base measures 4" X 4.25"

OK hope that helps.....thanks in advance
    Theresa
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 16:06:46 (permalink)
    Jim color in photo is diff. than color in person I have auto flash and it makes it seem "brighter" in the images. Let me see if I can work on getting a photo with exact coloration this has.
    I'm no expert on bottles that is a certainty. lol I have however never seen anything like that at Pier One.
    OFF to work on photo hopefully without flash. (new camera trying to figure out settings)

Theresa
    saratogadriver
    • Total Posts : 878
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 16:29:50 (permalink)
    I'm not aware of anyone reproducing anything in the german half post method, which this bottle sure looks like it is.   I'm guessing european made case bottle of some sort.

Has anyone seen anything repro half post method?  It isn't from pier one that I know of, I don't know of them selling anything with an actual pontil.

Jim G
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 16:52:38 (permalink)
    saratogadriver me either and would they go to the trouble of tooling the tops for something they sell for 8 bucks at Pier 1?
    I don't know.....seriously I don't but Pier One is down the street from me and I go in there alot. Never have I seen anything there with these methods of manufacture. But then again...I've got little little knowledge about bottles. ARt glass YES! :-)

Theresa
    farmerdan
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 19:35:50 (permalink)
    After some consideration and a second look at the photos, I must admit there are some signs that this might be new "art glass" Jim said the color  - yes this appears an unusual color for early glass, olive green would be more appropriate. (perhaps different photos might help) The pontil is reminiscent of many art glass pieces i've seen, and also there is the lack of base wear, and no visible seeds or potstones, which suggests new, high quality glass from a new, high-tech furnace. The topic is certainly up for debate..........
    cyberdigger
    • Total Posts : 13707
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 19:39:43 (permalink)
    It's very cool, but it just can't be very old.. can it?

Attached Image(s)

surfaceone
    • Total Posts : 11217
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 19:57:21 (permalink)
    Hello Theresa,

Welcome to these pages, and thanks for bringing along the unusual looking bottle. After looking several times at your photos, I could not detect much, if any, base wear. This is something that I now look for, thanks to the knowledgeable folks who are eyeballing your bottle as we speak. Lack of base wear on a bottle of considerable age, is not a harbinger of authenticity, unless it has been slumbering in an attic like environment since first consumption.

kungfufighter
    • Total Posts : 1306
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 20:16:29 (permalink)
    Not sure of the exact age of the object (1940s or 1980s?) but in my opinion it is DEFINITELY not a 19th century bottle.  There are a number of threads that reference bottles of this type - I'd love for the sake of the owner for the bottle to be be period but that's simply not the case...

www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com
    www.noordsyantiques.com
    kungfufighter
    • Total Posts : 1306
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 20:22:29 (permalink)
    FWIW this bottle is seen in any number of different colors - amethyst, olive yellow, yellow green, etc.  It is not a reproduction per se (in that there are no known similar examples of the period) but rather a fantasy bottle (and a good one) that utilizes early glass-making methods to (falesly) recreate the appearance of an 18th or 19th century bottle.

www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com
    www.noordsyantiques.com
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/07 22:25:27 (permalink)
    "FWIW this bottle is seen in any number of different colors - amethyst, olive yellow, yellow green, etc."

kungfufighter would you mind posting an example please since there are so many in diff. colors? TY

Theresa
    bostaurus
    • Total Posts : 2861
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/08 07:52:32 (permalink)
    So where do you think these were made? To make them affordable it would probably have to be Mexico, Asia, India,or other country with cheap labor. Unless,of course, it was a place where people expect to shell out more money..like a tourist area. Folks shell out large amounts of money for glass in Venice. Understandable if it is well made Venetian glass but there is some that is cheap, poorly made foreign stuff at Venetian prices.

Always looking for veterinary bottles, American and foreign.
    saratogadriver
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/08 12:21:20 (permalink)
    I know where you can find this form, if not exactly the texture/age of glass.  And that is on the brand new American Bottle Auctions catalog that just came on the website today.   I'll try to post the link to the exact bottle I'm talking about.  Square, green, half post method (the one in the auction has a stopper), similar lip form...  As close as I've seen, only the glass looks a lot cruder on the ABA example.

http://www.rtam.com/americanbottle/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI

I don't think you'll get much closer to a match on form and color.  I don't think you can rule this one out as original yet.   I've not ever seen a half post method recreation (but I don't collect half post, so my observation hardly constitutes authority).

Jim G

P.S.   The link didn't work quite right.  It's item 212 in the catalog.  Let me see if I can post a pic.
    post edited by saratogadriver - 2010/01/08 12:22:54
    saratogadriver
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/08 12:23:36 (permalink)

Let's see if this works.
    hartmans2
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/08 17:28:03 (permalink)
    I tried really hard to get pics . Is it me or is GREEN just hard to photograph? Anyways....I took a few more of the lip and neck and one just directly into the body of the bottle. This glass is fairly clear but not totally....FYI I think I made a mistake in trying to wash it? I can't get the inside to dry out no matter what I do. I've tried a blow dryer on cool and warm and also tried to let it rest upside down but the angle the bottle has on the top keeps the water from dripping out all the way. Sorry for the condensation on the inside.
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_2035.jpg
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1975-1.jpg
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_2006.jpg
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1990.jpg
    botlguy
    • Total Posts : 3868
    RE: German Half post bottle? 2010/01/08 18:30:07 (permalink)
    Theresa: I hate to be the bearer of bad news and always reluctant to burst ones bubble. But the truth is ALWAYS best. The problem with your pictures, I believe, is your light source. Flash is not the way to go. If you can back light through translucent glass or better yet sign grade acryilic with 5,000 K flourescent tubes or use bright cloudy sunlight from a side angle, that will give true(er) color. (All computer monitors see differently) However, I don't believe that will make the real difference.

There is just something not right about that piece even though it's quite similar to the auction photo. I know the auctioneer, Jeff Wichman, and he is quite knowledgeable about such items but he may also be led astray with the piece he is offering. I am not 100% convinced about that one either although it looks more authentic than yours. I would need to see both in person to be sure in my mind. As I said at the very first, I am simply giving my opinion based on limited information. Someone with some real expertise needs to view your bottle in person. Nothing substitutes for "hands on".

I used to have a German Half Post made contemorary item that I used for show purposes as a learning tool. The piece was made in Chechoslovakia (sp?) I think. I personally own a few "PITKIN" flasks made in the German Half Post style but they are of a much different form and really not good for comparison.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that you find out it is an early, quality piece. IT COULD BE. I am just wanting you to make sure before you do anything with it. Find someone with experience in such items and try to get more than one hands on opinion. Good Luck

Jim Sinsley will buy or trade for WAW-WAW, Owls, "Littles", Oddities, Santa Ana, CA. or Coeur d' Alene, ID. bottles.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5