LockedOld Key West

Author
Conch times
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/12 10:01:08 (permalink)

Old Key West

Here are some of the wierd things we find down in the keys. Some I found myself and some are my father in laws finds, I have posted some of this stuff before but I hope you guys enjoy anyways.

This is an old shipyard cleet, it's kinda hard to tell from this pic but this thing probably weighs about 350 pounds.

This is another from a different pier.

This is one of the father in laws finds, he has found the coolest stuff!

This one I'm not sure of to tell the truth, it looks to me like it held a clock but it's kinda big and heavy to house just a little clock. Any ideas?

This is an old piece of the Flagler railroad, not uncommon down here but still a cool piece of history to have.

This is by far the most special piece in the collection! My father in law found this while diving with his son 32 years ago. Unfortunately his son was struck and killed by a car two weeks later, it was the last dive they took together. Needless to say we don't move or even touch it unless we absolutely have to! I feel honored to be trusted enough to be its keeper.

5 Replies Related Threads

Potlidboy
    • Total Posts : 516
    RE: Old Key West 2012/08/12 13:14:30 (permalink)
    Conch times..............Man I love those diving artifacts........getting a 350 lb cleet to the shore must have been a chore...lift bag or what? And a ships bell.....to crazy good. Does it have any markings?

And then the fifth covered in coral....What a treasure....a fitting tribute to his son.

Thanks for the share. I look forward to your posts.......
    RED Matthews
    • Total Posts : 4337
    RE: Old Key West 2012/08/12 16:32:36 (permalink)
    Yes Conch times; thanks for the showings; I also have a Ships Cleet, it is brass and weighs about 120#. I have tried to sell it but - it hasn't sold yet. I also have a large bottle with the rope covering for a fishing net float. I have about twenty fish net floats. Most are from the Pacific north west shore, One is from Norway and some have big blobs of sealing glass and pressed makers marks. The market for selling them is too weak for getting involved, right now.
    Great items and memories go along with them. Thanks again, RED Matthews
    surfaceone
    • Total Posts : 11217
    RE: Old Key West 2012/08/12 18:04:17 (permalink)

Hey Jay,

Please give my compliments to your FIL. That is a unique and wonderful piece! I wanna see more pictures, please.

What kinda coral is that?

Conch times
    • Total Posts : 1344
    RE: Old Key West 2012/08/12 18:16:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the compliments, I'll tell him you guys like it. I'm not a coral buff or anything but I would say that it's a young staghorn coral.

madman
    • Total Posts : 11359
    RE: Old Key West 2012/08/12 19:44:24 (permalink)
    great finds and pix thanks for sharing

always looking for, Toledo Ohio, Knoxville Tn. milks pharms and sodas,
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5