LockedGreat Bear springs 5 gallon carboy

Author
jameson.haupt
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/05 15:19:50 (permalink)

Great Bear springs 5 gallon carboy

Hi--

I was wondering if anyone had any information about this old school water bottle. I have two of them, and they both have this wooden carrier as well.

One side is embossed with  "great bear springs....this bottle is loaned and never sold' the other side is embossed with 'illegal possession or refilling this bottle punishable one year imprisonment $50 reward leading to conviction".....i would be interested to know how much they are worth, and if, in fact i am possessing them illegally.

all the best,
james
post edited by jameson.haupt - 2009/03/05 15:20:18

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

jameson.haupt
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Great Bear springs 5 gallon carboy 2009/03/05 15:22:21 (permalink)
    another picture, this time of the bottom

it has this strange deckeled texture to it....it looks like a stylized crackle or something

Attached Image(s)

RED Matthews
    • Total Posts : 4355
    RE: Great Bear springs 5 gallon carboy 2009/03/05 17:17:59 (permalink)
    Hello jameson.haupt;   To answer your first point.  I don't think it is illegal to have it.  As a bottle it is more-or-less out of service.  I have a gallon water jug embossed with Great Bear Spring.  I also have several Chemung Spring Water bottles, in the gallon size and some with ground finishes and glass stoppers.  They were from around Elmira N.Y..  I have some 5 gallon carboys from other companies also.

Sometimes these carboys have the lettering on them upside down, so when they are placed in a dispenser the name reads up-right.  It is nice to have the crate with them.
    I don't remember, but I think Great Bear Spring Co. was from Fulton N.Y,.

Regarding the question you posted regarding the bottom.  The pattern was created in the bottom plate of the mold assembly.  This one also has the Diamond, and a large O with the I inside the assembly.  This bottle was made by Owens Illinois, and I think at the Quincy, Illinois plant near St. Louis.  They were made on a three position machine with the forming of the initial parison, then the glass was transferred to the next mold
     ( for an intermediate blowing ), and then transferred to the final mold for the final blow of the bottle.  I think the pattern was to reduce scuffing and maybe just to look better on top of the dispenser. 

I could see the job number in the picture.  Sometimes they had a letter or number to tell us which plant made it. 

I went to your page to see where you lived - info not there.  Anyway, welcome to the Forum.  A lot of us are here to help each other.  RED Matthews
    post edited by RED Matthews - 2009/03/05 17:21:23
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5