LockedOUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
SODAPOPBOB
  • Total Posts : 6822
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/06 15:03:22 (permalink)

OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs

I'm really excited about this new thread and sincerely hope it will generate some genuine interest. It is sort of a spin-off of the "Earliest ACLs" but with a little twist. This time I am hoping to see your rarest and favorite acls. But the dates of the bottles aren't the focus here. It can be any acl from any era just so long as you consider it to be rare and of special interest. Hopefully this will establish an entirely new chapter involving the research and history of acl soda bottles. However, this could turn out to be a little tricky ... and here's why. Your rarest acl bottle may not necessarily be you favorite, and vice-versa; your favorite may not be your rarest. So what I am truly hoping to see here are bottles that fall into both categories. But the real tricky part will be avoiding duplications. For example: If more than one member selects the famed "Birdie" acl as their all-time rarest favorite, then that would eliminate it from being posted by another member. Thus I suggest posting your next rarest/favorite and so on. I hope I'm making some sense here and that all will find this thread both enjoyable and helpful. And please post only those bottles from your personal collections as oppossed to those from books, etc.

Please note this is not a contest but rather a sharing experience to see what's out there; and also to see what excites you personally as a collector regarding those oh-so-interesting acls from yesteryear. Let's have fun with this and please not challenge each other regarding rarity. A newbie's acl Coca Cola from 1959 may not seem rare to others, but it may be as good as it gets for that particular member. In the end we should have a comprehensive collection of some really cool bottles ... and that is what it's all about, right? 

Thanks in advance to all who participate ...

I will start things off with my personal rarest favorite from my collection.

Tom Tucker - 1940s - Pittsburgh, PA. - Glenshaw Glass Co. 

{Front Label}  There are two variations of this bottle ... Both images to follow on a seperate page.

78 Replies Related Threads

SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 15:04:50 (permalink)
    SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 15:07:15 (permalink)
    {Both Variations}  Estimated Values $100.00 + ?  Listed as VR
    post edited by SODAPOPBOB - 2010/08/06 15:08:08
    SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 16:02:22 (permalink)
    Post Script ~

Regarding values ... It is entirely up to the individual. But I honestly believe it would help to at least post an "approximate" value for future reference. Plus it will eliminate replies from others requesting the value for this or that bottle. You decide.

Thanks again,

SODAPOPBOB

nksave40
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 17:24:46 (permalink)
    I hate to duplicate already but my personal favorite and rarest from my collection wich i just picked up at an estate sale last weekend is also my tom tucker bottle.

Looking for bottles from western PA especially New Kensington PA.
    fishnuts
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 17:35:10 (permalink)
    I was really excited about providing some input here...and showing off some bottles from the display
    but the files were too big.  I'll have to figure that out later, I guess.  Input is more important.
    I was going to show the red Rocket along with the really rare blue Rocket from Ohio.  They are favorites of mine.
    I was going to show some that I consider rare, but of course, your input can knock that aside.  The four in the photo would have  Sally AnnStone Fort...3 colorBrown Boy, and an Oklahoma High Dive (just like the all white, but r/w).   Not too many in collections, so please share if you know otherwise.

Lastly, I would've shown off my 1943 blue/white Mellow Moon from Paragould, AR...no more than a handful known.  More importantly are the three 12 oz. Moody's from  Little Rock, all from 1941.  Moody's  MadeRite orange/black...perhaps five or six know between the two varieties.  Moody's Shot O' Grape, red/white... two others known to me.  And,  Moody's Root Beer red/white...only one other known to me.

And add Arkansas's Uncle Luke as rare...I know of one on-grade example and three nice off-grades.
    And the five or six known Arkansas bottles that I still never seen..@%#!*...drat!

Thanks for having me!
    Grant
    SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 17:36:12 (permalink)
    nksave40 ~

You did real good!  Your's is the 'White' background variation ... mine has the 'Black' background.

Good job!  We should start a "Tom Tucker" club. Of course, my bottle is rarer than yours. Lol  Just kidding ... According to the book they are both considered Very Rare. 

Thanks,

SPB
    SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 17:41:32 (permalink)
    fishnuts ~

Welcome to the forum. Your bottles sound extremely cool. Please try and post some photos. If you go back to your photo gallery and reduce them to about 600/640 they should work just fine. Let us know if you need any additional help. You've come to the right place for that! 

Thanks,

SPB
    JayBeck
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 19:08:11 (permalink)
    I have lived near Lake Erie most of my life so that certainly has an influence but this is just an awesome bottle and extremely rare. It is strange that this Lake Erie Bottling Co was in Canton, Ohio which is not very close to Lake Erie.

Attached Image(s)

nksave40
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 20:21:49 (permalink)
    sodapopbob
    I was verry excited when i found this bottle it was just kinda hidden on a table in the basement had no price on it so i took it to the lady and she said give me a buck for it so that is good news that it could be worth that much.

Looking for bottles from western PA especially New Kensington PA.
    digger mcdirt
    • Total Posts : 1984
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:01:15 (permalink)
    Here's my rarest I think it goes for $1000 + The Birdie. The King Cotton is rare I can get $150 or so on a mint one and the Kick with the Hillbilly going in the air I have only had 2 of. I was offered $175 for it but I thought it might be impossible to get another mint one . bob

Attached Image(s)

McDirt
    SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:06:39 (permalink)
    nksave46 ~

I should have pointed this out on the title page, and address it now so there will be no confusion hereafter ... but we (you and I and everyone) may need to be reminded there are variations upon variations of some bottles ... meaning that a "Tom Tucker" from 1950 would not be as rare/valuable as one from 1938. Which is not to say that either of our's is not rare and valuable, (and I honestly believe they are) but rather as a reminder to emphasize this distinction. In other words; the main thing here is the sharing of our favorite acls that are the rarest in our own particular collections, and hopefully are equally as rare on a overall basis. So if the case had been that my "Tom Tucker" was a 1950 example and only worth, say $25.00, this would not demean it whatsoever as it is still personal favorite and personal rarest. Rarity does not always translate into a higher value. But demand does! For example: There may be only ten 1938 "Tom Tucker's" out there, which are extemely rare, but if no one is interested in purchasing them, they would be difficult to sell for even $10.00. But if you take a bottle like a certain Mt. Dew bottle that there are hundreds of, but have ten thousand collectors that just have to have one, then they will easily go for in the hundreds of dollars. 

I hope I explained this so called Supply/Demand phenomenon correctly, and even if I didn't I truly hope you get my point. I love your 'White' variation of the "Tom Tucker" and under different circumstances would gladly pay top dollar for it! And I want to apologize for sometimes sounding like a dictionary ... but I guess that's just how my goofy brain works these days. 

Thank you so much for sharing.  And please, everyone, keep 'em comming!

SPB 
    OsiaBoyce
    • Total Posts : 4666
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:07:56 (permalink)
    I don't know about rare, but this is the only blue one I've seen.

Attached Image(s)

Wise men talk because they have something to say.

The rest of you are just shooting blanks.

OsiaBoyce
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:10:35 (permalink)
    But................................everybody likes picture lables.

I like this one. There is a 7oz. B/W Clear

Attached Image(s)

SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:13:05 (permalink)
    Digger ~

I just knew you'd be the one to post the 'Birdie' bottle first. One of these days I'm gonna have me on of them dudes, (or dudettes, whichever the case may be). I remember when you first aquired it and how jealous I was. Well, I'm over that now and am truly honored by you presence here.

Thank you for sharing ... and even though this is not a competition, I have to say you truly set the bar ... so far anyway!  Lol

SPB
    OsiaBoyce
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:15:10 (permalink)
    Then we all seen a ton of the embossed ones. The last two bottlers put these out for one year,1942. You don't see these either of these two often.

The other three look alikes just happen to be in the picture.

Attached Image(s)

SODAPOPBOB
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:19:46 (permalink)
    Osia ~

Any chance of a closeup of the 'Ronderbilt Special' (I think that's what it says) label? I'm curious. By the way ... nice dog! 

SPB
    OsiaBoyce
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:20:11 (permalink)
    I don't know how rare these are either, but this would be my most desirable [ as far as the hobby goes] I have.

There's a 7oz. green bottle I'm looking for too.

Attached Image(s)

madman
    • Total Posts : 11336
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:31:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

I don't know how rare these are either, but this would be my most desirable [ as far as the hobby goes] I have.

There's a 7oz. green bottle I'm looking for too.

hey pat nice bottle! as well as the others shown was that made by brown belle?

always looking for, Toledo Ohio, Knoxville Tn. milks pharms and sodas,
    madman
    • Total Posts : 11336
    RE: OUR RAREST / FAVORITE ACLs 2010/08/06 21:32:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JayBeck

I have lived near Lake Erie most of my life so that certainly has an influence but this is just an awesome bottle and extremely rare. It is strange that this Lake Erie Bottling Co was in Canton, Ohio which is not very close to Lake Erie.

hey jay awsome!

always looking for, Toledo Ohio, Knoxville Tn. milks pharms and sodas,
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0