Locked"Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
CarltonHendricks
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
2012/02/20 22:29:00 (permalink)

"Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle?

Hi, I'm new here and can't seem to figure out how to upload photos...So I'll cut to the chase...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147839
I just got a figural bottle shaped like a baseball player with the name "Noble Catcher" at the bottom. It looks like about 1880's to me. You can see it in the link above....Please advsie if you know anything about it. Thanks -Carlton
post edited by CarltonHendricks - 2012/02/20 22:36:40

67 Replies Related Threads

blobbottlebob
    • Total Posts : 4674
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 22:46:33 (permalink)
    Welcome Carlton.
    I've never seen anything like it. Interesting link there. Hopefully someone here will know. You came to the right place.
    blobbottlebob
    • Total Posts : 4674
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 22:50:07 (permalink)
    Let me try this . . .
    surfaceone
    • Total Posts : 11211
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 22:50:32 (permalink)

There'ya go Jordyn,

Welcome to the A-BN.

Weren't the decanters painted?

CarltonHendricks
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 23:02:37 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, Wow that's great...because I've been hitting brick walls....a rep from Cyrus Noble emailed me today...our exchange below:

Hello,
    Carlton Hendricks here with SportsAntiques.com. Would you have a company historian or archivist? I’m researching the attached figural bottle of a c1880 baseball player with the name “Noble Catcher” at the bottom. Would you know if this was produced by Cyrus Noble? The top is missing on mine and I’m hoping to find one with the original top so I can copy it. I presume it was shaped like a baseball cap...perhaps a pillbox style one.

Please advise any knowledge or help you can offer. Thanks
    Kindly,
    -Carlton
    www.SportsAntiques.com

My apologies sir, but we have no company histrorian or archivist. In the 15 years that I've worked for Haas Brothers, I have not heard of a 19th century decanter for Cyrus Noble. We did a successful ceramic decanter program in the 1970's, but in the 19th century I'm only aware of a shot-glass series. I'm sorry I can't give a definitive answer, but as far as I've ever heard, this wouldn't be a decanter produced by/for Cyrus Noble Bourbon.
    Thank you for your inquiry,
    Jake Lustig
    National Sales Manager
    Haas Brothers | Since 1851
    San Francisco, California

Hi Jake,
    Thanks for you email. I’d be very surprised if it turns out to not be a Cyrus Noble bottle. I’ll continue my journey looking for answers.. Above is a link to more photos and discussion on it, that I posted on a forum I frequent...no answers yet though...FYI, at the end I mention two people who haven’t seen it; Keith Schneider and Josh Evans....when those two haven’t seen it....it’s rare! Point being, it’s so rare, you/the Cyrus Noble entity, may not even know of it. The second one of the “Noble Pitcher” seen in my post adds further intrigue...

BTW I have the large c1900 “Faro” Cyrus Noble sign which you may be familiar with....In my opinion, as it relates to my bottle, that sign, poignant as it is, shows that Cyrus Noble marketing had flair back in the day and is consistent with the flair my bottle would have had in 1880. Maybe you’re right it’s not a Cyrus Noble bottle...but I’m not ready to fold yet.

One last question: Will it be OK to post your reply on my site? As I will be doing a feature on it and would like to document what I learn as part of it’s history.
    Kindly –Carlton

Sure, Carlton, post away and frankly I admire your determination. The Faro Game program was indeed a major marketing effort and as you say, the brand had and has much flair! It would be wonderful to learn of the origins of your decanter bottle, and of course would add to my knowledge of Cyrus Noble's early days. Thank you again for your efforts, good luck with the pursuit!
    Jake Lustig
    National Sales Manager
    Haas Brothers | Since 1851
    San Francisco, California
    epackage
    • Total Posts : 18944
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 23:13:30 (permalink)
    That mold seam I see in the shot from behind makes me think later than 1900 as it goes al the way thru the lip.....I can't wait to see what you find out....If it's that old I'm shocked it's the first we're seeing of it here.....Jim

PATERSON N.J. BOTTLES WANTED
    Wheelah23
    • Total Posts : 4521
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/20 23:42:23 (permalink)
    Ground lip bottles like this one, the seam goes to the top of the lip...

Very cool bottle, by the way... I wouldn't be surprised if it's as old as you say.

Looking for bottles from Glen Ridge, Montclair, Bloomfield, the Orange...Also Manahawkin NJ! Message me if you want to find them a new home.(230 > max. 140)
    CarltonHendricks
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 00:01:41 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your input..especailly for posting the photos...from here on it's a waiting game to see what your community has to say over the next few days or so...I just got an email from Reggie Lynch of antiquebottles.com....said was he wasn't familiar with it....
    CarltonHendricks
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 00:06:50 (permalink)
    Wheelah23, Can you elaborate...what's a "ground lip" bottle?
    CreekWalker
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 01:07:30 (permalink)
    Ray Noble, Cuban league and Negro league, catcher? Born 1919.

I dig and collect West Tenn. Bottles and relics, hunter of local hist... Now an endangered species world wide, except in the USA,..for now.(181 > max. 140)
    CarltonHendricks
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 01:33:05 (permalink)
    Ray Noble, Cuban league and Negro league

Creek, Thanks much....a very good factoid....I looked him up and he was a catcher...and started playing in 1945....But the bottle looks much older....plus there's a "Noble Pitcher" as well and he wasn't a pitcher....darn good try but I'm dismissing it....Nevertheless thanks very much..any lead is a good lead at this point.

Ray Noble

Born: March 15, 1919 in Central Hatillo, Cuba
    Died: May 9, 1998 in Brooklyn, NY
    Ht:5'-11", Wt: 220
    Batted and threw right
    Position: catcher
    Playing Years: 1945-61
    Teams: New York Cubans, New York Giants (majors), Oakland Oaks (minors)
    CreekWalker
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 01:43:42 (permalink)
    I would look under tobacco card era players. Maybe an obscure player or is this a representative player bottle , noble simply meaning honorable, brave and true. I looks quite victorian!

I dig and collect West Tenn. Bottles and relics, hunter of local hist... Now an endangered species world wide, except in the USA,..for now.(181 > max. 140)
    botlguy
    • Total Posts : 3401
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 02:29:36 (permalink)
    Being a baseball fan and an old catcher myself, I would say that the style of uniform, mustach (sp) and such would indicate that the player himself, regardless of who manufactured the bottle or filled it, was from before 1900. 1880 might be a bit early but I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Fun item, I look forward to the solving of the mystery. GOOD STUFF ! ! !

P.S. If this were 1965 - 75 I would know exactly who to ask but the're dead. RIP

Jim Sinsley will buy or trade for WAW-WAW, Owls, "Littles", Oddities, Santa Ana, CA. or Coeur d' Alene, ID. bottles.
    cowseatmaize
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 10409
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 04:02:34 (permalink)
    Cuba and other countries still make bottles that appear old but may not be.
    It's possible it's a Cuban commemorative from RAFAEL ‘RAY’ NOBLE 's induction to the Cuban Hall of Fame even as late as 1985.
    Just a thought.

Eric

cowseatmaize
    Administrator
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 04:16:55 (permalink)
    Here's a pair.
    711FIGURAL BOTTLES - Pair of early 20th C. frosted cologne bottles. #1 - depicts a baseball pitcher in period uniform, marked 'Noble Pitcher' on base. #2 - depicts a baseball catcher in period uniform, marked 'Noble Catcher' on base. Each bottle has open unt$ 200.00 FROM

Eric

cowseatmaize
    Administrator
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 04:31:10 (permalink)
    Maybe an obscure player or is this a representative player bottle , noble simply meaning honorable, brave and true.
    That may apply here with the above "noble pitcher" and "noble catcher".
    Good call ump.

Eric

Buffalo Hunter
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 06:56:53 (permalink)
    Not a sports kinda person but does the picture on the left look like he's holding a stick/bat like use in Cricket to anyone else?
    cowseatmaize
    Administrator
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 07:43:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Buffalo Hunter

Not a sports kinda person but does the picture on the left look like he's holding a stick/bat like use in Cricket to anyone else?
    Hmmm, a lot of those TOC figurals were French made for export. I can't see the bat in the pic but Cricket isn't out of the question.

Eric

bostaurus
    • Total Posts : 2857
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 08:16:53 (permalink)
    Don't know that cricket would work...not up on my cricket but I don't think there is a "catcher" position.

Always looking for veterinary bottles, American and foreign.
    surfaceone
    • Total Posts : 11211
    RE: "Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle? 2012/02/21 10:29:55 (permalink)
    Hey Carlton,

I see that you are intent on getting to the bottom of this mystery.

"Only on line reference found from a 2008 auction, with "Noble Pitcher" mate

I feel confident it was a Cyrus Noble Whiskey bottle. I can only find one reference to it online. There was one that sold at an auction in Feb. 2008 along with a mate “Noble Pitcher”….The listing refers to them as cologne bottles, but 12” tall seems big for a cologne bottle. There was and still is a Whiskey called Cyrus Noble Whiskey. From what I can ascertain Cyrus Noble Whiskey first appeared around the late 1870’s and was most famous in San Francisco and the west.

It was supposed to be just a quick run thru the mall as I was supposed to shortly meet up with friends at a nearby movie theater…So I sort of had to buy it in a hurry…run to the movie and dinner afterwards…by the time I got home it was late and I finally got a chance to look it over. Phew!...It was one of those purchases where after the dust settled I was very I glad I pulled the trigger!!...

I found a guy online in Seattle that does artistic glass restoration…After some discussion and photos to show him what I wanted he quoted me $800.00 to $1,000.00 to create a glass top shaped like a pill box cap…He explained the process he’d have to go thru …including matching the frosted finish…and that he anticipated he would need to make several before getting it right if he could do it at all…He wasn’t positive he could match the finish but was willing to try….so his price made sense…..and could even be a bargain!

On the other hand I was perplexed what the original cap looked like and was made of….I would be using artistic license by creating a pill box cap top since I’ve never seen the original and would only be guesstimating….After I got the $800.00 to $1,000.00 estimate I started thinking it thru and wondered if the top was originally glass after all. I speculated a fine decorative decanter would have been glass but a production bottle wouldn’t have." From.

Cyrus Noble did have a line of painted decanters 1n the 1970-1982ish range. From.

From. Have you enquired HERE? This might also be a place to ASK.

As Eric has mentioned, it may be French made. The frosted glass and ground lip are distantly tinkling French bells to me. His uniform shirt seems to be consistent with the 1900-1910ish time period, per this page.

"U. Pennsylvania c1900 Complete Game Worn Baseball Uniform" From.

From.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6