LockedWorst accident you had while digging?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
reach44
  • Total Posts : 590
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/26 23:25:43 (permalink)

Worst accident you had while digging?

Hey everyone. What are some mishaps you've had while digging? Cave ins? Get shot at? Broke a nice bottle? Anything odd?

I recently found a common but nice Bo Peeps ammonia bottle (1920s Id say) and as I was shaking the mud out of it I dropped it....and it broke all to pieces.

Had a hole I was in completely collapse on me. Quite scary!

Also had two dogs show up out of nowhere and watch me dig all day. I was in the middle of nowhere. Lol

43 Replies Related Threads

MisterSilverSearcher
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/26 23:38:05 (permalink)
    While I was picking dirt up and throwing it in a barrel a piece of glass gashed my finger down to the bone. I learn to use my shovel for moving dirt now haha

Looking for Charleston West Virginia bottles, Celery=Cola, Copy-Cat Coke, Pepsi-Cola, and Coca Cola WV bottles. 
    reach44
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/26 23:42:53 (permalink)
    Ouch! Any stitches? Or did you tough it out?
    post edited by reach4thebottle - 2013/02/26 23:43:30
    frozenmonkeyface
    • Total Posts : 700
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 00:34:03 (permalink)
    Did the dogs look anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn4ghEoupJk

That is one scary looking doggie. I love Rottweilers personally, but if a stray came around me looking like this, I would get a little antsy. haha
    botlguy
    • Total Posts : 3741
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 02:39:11 (permalink)
    Only incident I can think of right now is the drunk with a bad hangover who objected to our breaking a hole in a concrete slab with a sledge hammer at 6:30 A.M. one Saturday morning. Theatened us with an empty 1/5th until he was politely told out potato fork would hurt him more than his crummy bottle would hurt us and we would soon have a hole to hide the evidence.

We did keep an eye out for awhile.

Jim Sinsley will buy or trade for WAW-WAW, Owls, "Littles", Oddities, Santa Ana, CA. or Coeur d' Alene, ID. bottles.
    sandchip
    • Total Posts : 2976
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 06:04:50 (permalink)
    Me and a buddy were walking a creek and had gone downstream and were heading back up. He had gotten ahead of me when I spotted a nice pottery jug we both had missed. I hollered for him to check it out, and as he turned there was a big splash and I was left holding up the handle. Learned the hard way never to pick up an old jug by the handle, especially when it's full of water and sand.

Jimbo
    RICKJJ59W
    • Total Posts : 16273
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 07:46:40 (permalink)
    Once while digging a big wood liner "Mystery Tavern" It was right at the end of the dig,I was bent over at the bottom of the pit. I reached down to get one last bottle out of the corner,as soon as I stood up,half of the wall crashed in and hit me up to my chest. It knocked the wind out of me. If i was still bent down getting that bottle when it caved I would be in privy heaven. If I recall the bottle was a decent one.

Always dig to the walls.Its the fill that will kill you not the clay.

Check out my web site,Dug bottles,Dig story's,Dig Vids and more!
    www.19thcenturybottlediggers.com
    midwestdigger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 10:20:58 (permalink)
    Oh geesh, where to begin, lol. Stupid neighborhood kids kicking dirt in the hole along with a nice 1850s era brick to the head. We were once sitting digging a hole and a paddywagon and about 5 cop cars show up on the lot we were on. They come running out with guns, we were scared shi-tless and shirtless too. It was 100 degrees out. Luckily they were heading to the drug house next door and the garage where about 10 guys scattered in all directions. Several were tackled within 20 feet of us. Ironically, no cops actually asked what we were doing.

Well there has been several phone lines, gas lines, old/somewhat not in use sewer lines right through the middle of the hole. When you are chopping through hard clay, whatever is in the way is getting busted.

Once had a rent-a-cop call the real police and about 5 squad cars converged on the hole we were digging. I was down in the bottom still digging. My uncle was 10 feet above me getting bent over a squad car and patted down. I crawled out of the hole, only to find all these cops say "we got another one", "get on the ground". After some heavy duty explaining they let us go. But the rent-a-cop thought we were cooking meth. We had a couple milk jugs of partially frozen water we take to drink sitting by the hole.

My uncle has been arrested several times. He has also had a gun pulled on him. He also had someone steal his wallet when he was digging by himself. He went to a local tavern where he had seen this thief hang out before. Two large guys tried to jump him. After breaking the first one's nose and knocking him out cold, the other one jumped on his back and put him in a headlock. After biting a piece of his arm off, he let go and my uncle was able to get away. No jokes.

Oh yeah, and there have been plenty of gun shots within close range, not to mention a prostitute in a nasty neighborhood in Memphis lift her dress to reveal she decided to go commando that day! Wanted to know if we wanted anything..... we were quite happy with our bottles.

Looking for any and all Udolpho Wolfe Schnapps, especially odd colors,..l schnapps or St Louis blob soda bottles! www.antiquebottleshop.com(142 > max. 140)
    GuntherHess
    • Total Posts : 12152
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 12:07:03 (permalink)
    midwestdigger
    are you related to Doug?

FREE Online Medicine Guide -
    http://www.antiquemedicines.com/Medi.../antiquemedicines.com

Email : mknapp@antiquemedicines.com(163 > max. 140)
    CaptainSandune
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 12:18:10 (permalink)
    Was digging in a ditch that had a spring feeding it in Pensacola FL with a hand trowel this winter. Moved a clump of clay and was eyeball to eyeball with a hibernating water mossacin less than 8 inches from my head. It was a little bit alarming.
    KBbottles
    • Total Posts : 1658
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 13:00:18 (permalink)
    Kneeled down on a shard of glass once that went nice and deep in my knee. The strange thing is I never even felt it! Dug the whole day with no pain. Maybe it was adrenaline from finding bottles in the pit that kept me from even noticing. Got home and realized my jeans were stuck to my leg from dried blood. Showered, found the deep open wound and cleaned it up real good. Healed fine but left a small scar. I don't particularly mind the scar because it reminds me of a great day of digging.

Collecting locals from New Brunswick, Kingston, Princeton, and South Brunswick area towns in NJ.
    sunrunner
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 14:19:09 (permalink)
    digging in camden n.j awell back,my partner,whent,to getus some thing to drink at a corner store.i was coming out of the hole,whan i see this girl coming over,now,wev been diging all morning,so in looking pritty grouby,well the girl walks rightup to me and ask me if i woud like to have a littel fun,for 10.00s.i toled her i was having enough fun.
    blobbottlebob
    • Total Posts : 4674
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 15:03:37 (permalink)
    I've told this story before but I had a digging partner hit me in the head with a shovel. I'll look for it and post a link. It was mildly amusing . . .
    cacarpetbagger
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 17:05:47 (permalink)
    Worst cut I've had was when I put my finger inside the mouth of a jar and pulled it out of the wall. A bit chunk broke off and cut the tip of my right index finger almost off. Not bone or fingernail just the meat. I've never been accused of being smart. I jammed it into the palm of my other hand and my buddy drove me to the ER. Doc laid me out on a table and said don't watch but of course I looked up just in time see him finish cutting the tip of my finger the rest of the way off. Then I had a little girly fainting episode. He then carved all the meat from the skin and put the skin back where it belonged and sewed it back on. I remember he kept moving the skin around until he got it lined up just right. Did a fine job and it only cost me $125, which was a chunk of change in 1975. I was always more careful after that.
    RICKJJ59W
    • Total Posts : 16273
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 17:10:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sunrunner

digging in camden n.j awell back,my partner,whent,to getus some thing to drink at a corner store.i was coming out of the hole,whan i see this girl coming over,now,wev been diging all morning,so in looking pritty grouby,well the girl walks rightup to me and ask me if i woud like to have a littel fun,for 10.00s.i toled her i was having enough fun.

You should have gave her 10 and told her to dig to the use layer lol
    10 bucks? that must hav been a while ago

Check out my web site,Dug bottles,Dig story's,Dig Vids and more!
    www.19thcenturybottlediggers.com
    BellwoodBoys
    • Total Posts : 371
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 17:15:51 (permalink)
    The worst digging accident I've ever had is when the base of a local amber crowntop was sticking out of the ground. I reached into the small hole to grab the base and was cut by a piece of rusty metal. It was a good thing my friend brought disinfectant spray. I also got the bottle out shortly after.
    stumpr
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 18:18:07 (permalink)
    I was digging out an early war Yankee trash pit with my son. He spots a bottle and points to an area below the brick. I move the shovel to get a better view of the bottle, slip and put my entrenching shovel through the neck of a Masonic Seeing Eye flask that was above the brick. Only bottle I have ever broken but what a bottle to break!
    JustGlass
    • Total Posts : 1545
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 18:34:47 (permalink)
    Both accidents I had while digging were minor but uncomfortable. I was pulling on a tree root because a bottle was wedge underneath it and it let loose sending dirt up into my eyes. It took a few minutes before I could see clearly. I also was moving some rocks that had bottles underneath them and pinched my fingers between them. I have never broke a bottle while digging, I just wait to get home to do it.
    blobbottlebob
    • Total Posts : 4674
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 19:04:05 (permalink)
    As promised, shovel in the head story (here on the forum) . . .

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/A-commical-story-about-my-first-dig/m-196708/tm.htm
    AMChandler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Worst accident you had while digging? 2013/02/27 19:10:42 (permalink)
    I cut my finger pretty good one time. It kept bleeding and wouldn't stop. I packed it with some mud and kept on truckin!
    I also wear gloves now.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0