More Sacramento Druggists/Pharmacists

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
My collection is looking a lot better now thanks to Wilkie and the killer trading we did. Got some new sizes and variants and a really nice new druggist too. Thanks Wilkie.

sacbottles002.jpg

There's more variants of this that I want......
sacbottles003.jpg

sacbottles004.jpg

All with the exact same embossing
sacbottles005.jpg

A closer look
sacbottles006.jpg

This is my new favorite
sacbottles007.jpg

sacbottles008.jpg

sacbottles010.jpg

sacbottles009.jpg

sacbottles011.jpg

Lordbud

Reaction score
That is a nice selection you've got going; must have been an interesting trade. I've got a Peters dose glass I found up in Alameda (as discussed in another thread) and an old beat-up lip-chipped Walters & Bell somebody gave me years ago.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Many of those are listed as scarce or very scarce. You got a good collection going there. A few more years you'll be the "go to" guy for Sacramento meds[:)]

Wilkie

Reaction score
That set of 3 Walther and Bells look good together. I wonder if there are any other sizes. The thing about Millers book is it does not list the various sizes. For the "square" Walther and Bells with the "WB" in the center like your 3, the rarity is "very scarce". The book shows another with the exact same embossing but it does not describe the shape and also doesn't give a rarity rating. There is also a varient that has the "WB" at the top of the bottle and the rarity and shape is not given for those either. I wonder if Caldigger or one of the other California collectors has some of the varients. I would really like to see what they look like.

There are 79 bottles listed for Sacramento in Millers book and that does not include the various sizes so you can probably triple that number. So you got plenty of bottles to be on the look out for. Good luck and have fun. I still collect Sacramento bottles too so I will keep any duplicates I come across and keep you in mind for trades.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I hope to really expand my collection over the summer. I start back to school in the fall and my "free" time will be drastically cut. I've been buying large lots, keeping what I wan't, and then selling off the rest. Essentially I hope to get my entire collection for "free" when all is said and done, although if I could dig some that would make it so much sweeter.

This is one that I really want. CALDIGR2 says it comes in cobalt too, along with the Walther & Bell. I'm sure those are a couple of crown jewels that may take a while to get.

C9AE7F7A5F534B9B9833D83B25EC41EA.jpg

Attachments

• C9AE7F7A5F534B9B9833D83B25EC41EA.jpg
    C9AE7F7A5F534B9B9833D83B25EC41EA.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 56

Wilkie

Reaction score
Next to the cobalt one, that one there is the best one out of the Boston Drug Stores. Who has this one? Nice to see what it looks like. Thanks for posting it.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Aaron, I just got back from the Antique mall on 56th Street. 1st time I've been there, most of the shops are crap but one of them has a lot in the way of bottles. I picked up another Walther and Bell, same design but even smaller than your smallest one. This one is 3 3/8" tall and 1 square inch in diameter. That's 4 sizes now that I am aware of. I'm betting there are some bigger ones too.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
oooohhh.....can I see......can I.......Awesome. I bet there are bigger ones too. Man, your makin me jealous. I can pick that Boston up for $30, but that just seems like a lot. I think I'll try to talk him down a bit. Most of those stores at that mall suck for bottles, but that first one has a descent selection. I just picked up a huge lot of jars for super cheep. I'll post some pics in the jar section later on. Thanks for letting me know about your find Tim. I've gotta keep a sharp eye out now.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Often times the smallest size bottle of a given druggist has less embossing than what is found on a larger example of the same variant.
A small example might not have room for all the embossed address info, or perhaps the monogram -- as would be found on the larger "brother".
I'm not sure whether Miller takes this into account when adding embossing variants or not.
One thing is for sure, there are always new variants and unlisted druggist/pharmacy bottles coming to light.

Wilkie

Reaction score
When I get home today I'll take a picture of it and post it.
It was the first shop on the right where I found it. It was inside a glass display case towards the front. The only other Sacramento bottles I saw were common hutches and they all had condition issues and were over priced.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger