THAMES GLASS WORKS INSULATOR NEW LONDON CT

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
A 3rd partial example of the New London Thames glass Works insulator has been found. I dug this is a construction debris pile a few years back. It was in the possession of Norman Heckler for over year while it was being researched. a little history on the insulator...
Charles Gardner had owned the only known example, which was incomplete. he found it while kicking around the site of the glassworks. The second example to surface was found at a yard sale in New London in 1997, it is the only whole example to come to light. It was sold on ebay for around $7,000.00. It was recently offered for sale, at a price of $15,000.00.

a brief description taken from Insulator News;
http://www.insulators.info/news/thames.htm
"The insulator is Black Glass, and embossed 'THAMES GLASS WORKS' on the front just above the wire ridge, and 'NEW LONDON, CT' on rear, also just above the wire ridge. The history available on it is through the McDougald books (Volume I, pages 13-14) and American Glass by George and Helen McKearin." Previously, only one example with just the crown of this insulator has existed, and been photographed. The insulator is black glass, and from the photograph, it looks very much like a CD 718. However, an exact CD determination has not been made.
The piece I found is the only other to surface. It is still unsure if the insulators were actually produced or just a prototype.

I am offering the piece for sale, if anyone wishes to make an offer.
the first picture is the whole insulator found in 1997. the remaining pictures are the of the chunk I found and offer for sale.
tgw-718.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg
IMG_8897.jpg
IMG_8895.jpg
IMG_8901.jpg
IMG_8900.jpg
IMG_8901.jpg
IMG_8905.jpg

stumpknocker

Reaction score
WOWI!! In that case I hope you find three whole one next time.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky