help to identify

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nu2this

Reaction score
2 bottles my son in law found and gave to me one of them says Rawleigh's and madei in the USA and the other says budwine"makes you glad you were thirsty" . Can someone tell me something about them and is there any value to either of them?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello nu2this,

Welcome to the forum. Your Rawleigh's is very common and worth but a couple of dollars. Here's one with the original label:
anti-pain.jpg
From.

The Budwine/Bludwine may have better value. Could yuou post a photo or 2? There's a nice site over @ this place. "After the court cases of 1918 the “FOR YOUR HEALTH’S SAKE†slogan was replaced by “MAKES YOU GLAD YOU’RE THIRSTY’ which had been in use since 1915 in various advertising. In 1920 the company changed the name of Bludwine to Budwine to distance itself from the blood reference. The new Budwine bottles were similar to the bottle patented in 1918."

71114062.gif
"Word Mark MAKES YOU GLAD YOU'RE THIRSTY (CANCELLED) NONALCOHOLIC MALTLESS BEVERAGES IN THE NATURE OF CEREAL AND MINERAL BEVERAGES SOLD AS A SOFT DRINK, AND FLAVORINGS AND SYRUPS FOR MAKING THE SAME. FIRST USE: 1915. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1915 Filing Date November 6, 1918 CHANGE IN REGISTRATION HAS OCCURRED Registration Date January 6, 1920 Owner (REGISTRANT) BLUDWINE COMPANY CORPORATION GEORGIA ATHENS GEORGIA (LAST LISTED OWNER) BUDWINE COMPANY UNKNOWN ATHENS GA." From Digger Odell.

Also from Diger Odell: "Dear digger, I’m new to bottle collecting and have a few questions for you on some bottles I have acquired the first is a soda ( bludwine bottling co. Orangeburg S. C. 6.5 fluid ounces) all embossed , the spelling of bludwine is blduwine. Seam is like modern day soda, color is greenish aqua, height is 7 5/8 " . The second is a ( Wyeth's beef juice , u.s. hospital size 100 c.c. ) all embossed. color is amber, height is 4 1/2" , smooth base , seam line stop's 1/2" below lip. The third is a ( L. pierre valligny or vallicny La coutte-a-coutte New York ) all embossed on front panel color is amber with almost a yellowish and a reddish tint to it . height is 6 1/8 " smooth base , mold line stops 1/2" below the lip. Also has what looks like screw threads at base of lip, maybe for a dose cup. Any info on these bottles (Value,age, rarety,etc. ) would be greatly appreciated. I will send pictures. I have a few others I have questions about but will write later about, I like to go out and hunt for and dig for bottles and do once in a while find some really neat bottles. I at some time in the near future will purchase your secrets to privy digging, and your bottle cleaning plans . Thank you very much, Donnie Mull

Bludwine was a soft drink apparently bottled in S.C. and other parts of the country in the early part of the 20th century. One bill head dated 1916 for the Bludwine Bottling Co. of Bridgeport, CT. indicated it was a subsidiary of Coca Cola . I found another reference in the Butts Co. Georgia Progress February 19, 1909 in an article, L. Norsworthy, manager of the Empire Bottling Works, states that the works turns out an average of 550 cases (13,200 bottles) of soft drinks a month. The article further states that Empire had exclusive manufacture and sale in this territory of Bludwine and Wiseola, two very popular soft drinks. Apparently permission to manufacture the drink was sold to a wide number of bottlers across the country. I found at least one collector advertising that he wanted "Bludwine" bottles. I'd estimate the value around $8-10.
Your Wyeth bottle is another turn of the century piece. An earlier question this month has some information about the company. The value is probably $4-8. I wasn't able to locate anything about your third bottle. Digger
" Digger Odell, August 2000.

Ad%20Ralston%20With%20Tom%20Mix%202.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi