Im new to this, I found these bottles on my first dig please help!!!! What is are they!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ljhowell

Reaction score
So i was digging the surface of a dump out in my woods and came across a lot of glass bottles/jars, also some license plates from 1930 and 1932 so i knew the stuff was old! The bottle say "MUCO-SOLVENT", "BAYER ASPIRIN", "THE BAYER CO. DIV.", "WHITEHALL", "CHESEBROUGH MANFG. CO. CD. NEW-YORK", FURST-McNESS CO. FREEPORT, ILL. U.S.A". I wait to dig deeper! any advice? what tools should i use?

druggistnut

Reaction score
Logan,
You SHOULD find milk bottles, deco/ACL sodas in what you are digging through.
You might find older things, if it runs deeper.
Bill

GuntherHess

Reaction score
unfortunately deeper doesnt always mean that much older. Try a test hole in the middle and see what you find.
I normally use a probe like a long dull screw driver to see of there are any bottles before I start shovelling. Its easy to feel if there is glass because its smooth and squeeks.
Even in newer dumps you can sometimes find early bottles that sat around houses for years and years.
If you dont know what something is , always bring it home...

druggistnut

Reaction score
What tools---
Everyone eventually settles on a few items they prefer, but, to get you started...
Since MOST stores do not sell American made implements any longer, buy used ones at yard sales or try www.gemplers.com I get many of my American or Swiss made tools there. The far-east junk will not hold up.
A word about Gempler's. They have LISTENED to my input on the phone and have added some items tailored to bottle diggers to their catalog.
A long handled AND a short-handled round spade. I prefer the long-handled one to be sharp, the short one, dull. You NEVER put your weight on the shovel when you are getting in to bottles. You EASE the blade downwards, wiggling it as you go. The shorter one is used to do a lot of sideways works--kind of like sweeping as you go.
A long-handled potato rake. I prefer the four tine version, some prefer a three tine cultivator.
A hand-held metal scratcher. I make mine out of longer ones. I cut down the handle, cut off the two outer times and have a two tine hand scratcher.
A plastic scratcher. This is essential when hitting a pocket of older, fragile glass OR porcelain signs. You don't want to damage them.
A GOOD folding saw
quality root nippers and loppers
I bring a battery operated sawz-all for metal and roots (if I get tired of sawing).
A come-along, stout rope and a pair of modified vice-grips (big pair)--I use this setup to clamp on to stubborn metal and slowly weasle it out. Saves a lot of back-ache.
A good head lamp and hard hat to put it on.
A 1st Aid kit w/ an epi-pen.
An eye wash bottle (just have a bottle of water that no one drinks).
bug spray
knee pads (I went through half a dozen brands until I modified my own)
leather gloves (must have)
hard soled leather boots (must have)
a roll of TP (MUST have)
newspapers for bottle wrapping
Clothes to change in to or a good pair of coveralls
a small transistor radio, for weather alerts and your local ball game
I also have in my truck the following-
A large ice spud type bar
a grain bucket and length of knotted rope
a pick axe
folded flat liquor boxes/separators and a roll of tape. Safest way to move good bottles
a couple of 5 hour energy drinks (for all-nighters)

Modify your list and you'll have it. Obviously, if you are walking in, you take what fits in a pack and bring an empty one along to fill.
You can also modify a pull-behind golf bag cart (two wheels) to haul tools, etc.. They are high-wheeled and go over logs well.

Good luck!
Bill

surfaceone

Reaction score
Bravo Bill,

Now, there's a darn comprehensive list. Thanks for that, and please show me your plastic scratcher, or an example of one.

You can also modify a pull-behind golf bag cart (two wheels) to haul tools, etc.. They are high-wheeled and go over logs well.
I wanna see this too. The cross cultural creativity of that is stunning. Well done, sir.

The only optional item, I could think of was personal entertainment device. Do any of you guys use ipods or the like? What have you got on your digging soundtrack if you do?

Nobility.JPG
I like a nice radio to listen to the ball game.

Should be a 12 Transistor model or better. Protective leatherette case included...

jays emporium

Reaction score
I also have in my truck the following-
A large ice spud type bar

Being from Texas I don't know what an "ice spud" is but if you have a "bar" in your truck I'd like to dig with you. Nothing like a good cold drink after digging bottles.

VTdigger

Reaction score
Good list Druggist, Bug spray is a must have for me, I can't stand to have ticks on me, I'd be so glad if they went extinct.

fldwlkr

Reaction score
Lj,
The Cheesebrough bottle is an old vaseline bottle. I'm guessing all these bottle have threads on top and probably are from the 30's & 40's. Are there any (punt) marks on the bottom. You can often date a bottle with the stuff the put on the bottoms of them. I find some nice colored glass in that era. Some cool greens, blues, browns, and pinks out there.

fldwlkr

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora