Marsh's Nips bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
I cleaned some more bottles and took some more pictures. [:)]

First one says "Marsh's Nips" on it, which I Googled but didn't find anything. I like the style of the writing.

You can see from the pics that it's just over 5 inches tall and the seam goes over the lip.
The bottom has a capital D in a diamond shape as seen in the 4th picture.
The glass is clear but has some rather large bubbles in it in a couple of places.

Any ideas on what Marsh's Nips was? What does the D in the diamond mean?
Thanks!
Claire
5914839431_56c69969aa_z.jpg

5915398888_60897854e1_z.jpg

5915398904_2f555956e0_z.jpg

5915398942_3800a802de_z.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Cute! The D mark is the Dominion Glass Co in Canada and the bottle looks like a small juice.
Are you in Canada?

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, in Nova Scotia, east coast of Canada. I think some of the other bottles I found yesterday have the same D in the diamond so that is very helpful to know the company! I thought it might have been alcohol because it seems that some people refer to a "nip" as a measure of alcohol, being 30 mL of it. I thought perhaps it was an early version of the little sample bottles of alcohol. But I could not find any reference to the "Marsh" company.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
"Scotcia" I should have guessed. I was off an 11 hour day so forgive me and welcome to the forum if a haven't yet.
Here's some info on it and a site with a list of other maker marks.
[font="sans-serif, arial, helvetica, geneva"]D in a diamond........Dominion Glass Company, Montreal, Quebec & other locations (1913-??). "D within a diamond" mark was reportedly first used by Dominion in 1928. The mark used before that time was just a diamond (on their insulators), but I'm not certain if that was also true of their bottles. [/font]CHECK THIS OUT
And the HOME PAGE

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the helpful sites! This will be great for me as I research my bottles!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Other plants of Dominion Glass: Hamilton, Toronto, Wallaceburg, Redcliff, and, I think, Vancouver area somewhere.

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
I seem to have quite a lot of bottles with that mark, which is I suppose not surprising since I am in Canada. I'm on the east coast though, so probably most of them are from the Ontario or Quebec plants

RCO

Reaction score
I just found 2 of these bottles swimming and figured I'd revive this post in an attempt to find out more about them . mine doesn't have the dominion mark but maybe a c in a triangle and a 7

P7240002.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Earliest Production Date:1919
Latest Production Date:1930
Description:A clear glass mould made cylindrical bottle with a metal, gold coloured bottle cap. 'Marsh's Nip' is moulded onto the body of the bottle. 'Marsh's Niagara Falls' is written on the metal bottle cap with red lettering. An indistinguishable symbol inside an inverted triangle is embossed on the bottom of the bottle along with the number "4" underneath it.
History of Use:These bottles and tines were found underneath the old summer kitchen at Jack Thorne's house in Lorne Park. his house was built in 1919 and these items date from then up until the 1930's. Jack found these artifacts while remodelling his house in 1973. The previous owner was a man named white who worked for the Toronto General Hospital as a radiologist.

http://www.rcip-chin.gc.ca/bd-dl/ar...+EQ+''MUSEUMS+OF+MISSISSAUGA''')&upp=0&m=3686

( this site seems to think they have a connection to Niagara Falls and were from just before the 30's ? never really heard of marsh's nip ? so not sure )

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It was grape juice, and based out of Niagara Falls although it looks like they had a nationwide distribution, or were at least attempting that in 1921. Here's what I found: "A Good Idea — would be the purchasing of a small stock of Marsh's Grape Juice — but the profits will re- pay you doubly. This delicious Grape Juice is of a high standard quality — pressed from sound Concord grapes. The Marsh Grape Juice Company Niagara Falls, Ont. Agents for Ontario, Quebec and Maritime Provinces : The MacLaren Wright, Ltd. Toronto and Montreal Agents for British Columbia : F.G. Evans Co., Ltd. Toronto and Montreal " That's what I found here: https://archive.org/stream/cangrocerjulydec1921toro/cangrocerjulydec1921toro_djvu.txt They didn't seem to be too successful, since I've never seen one of their bottles before.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac