Ottawa Bottle Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sunrunner

Reaction score
sounds like a glass house dump .shards for cullet.

RCO

Reaction score
This place is just packed with stuff like that, but there was almost nothing even close to whole. It's the only turn of the century dump I've ever seen where in some places the ground is literally just glass, no dirt, and it's all shards like that. Lots of tantalizing pieces of locals and semi-locals. Of course the only intact piece I was able to find was one of those little white glass face cream jars, which every dump has at least one of. One of these days I might go back with gloves and have a better look through the shards to see what's there. I was hesitant to pick too much up with my bare hands.

does sound like an odd dump , being so close to the downtown it must of all came from a business or city dumped it there years ago . there must of been a lot of bottles broken in downtown Ottawa and somehow they ended up there .

the shards still would be interesting to look at , you can learn a lot from them , and many of the smaller pieces its possible to identify what bottle they were if some parts remain but doubtful is a whole one there

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't think it's a glasshouse dump, because I'm pretty sure Ottawa didn't have a glasshouse in the early 20th century, and there definitely wasn't a glasshouse there. I think a lot of it was fill. The section that's all beverage bottles may have been from the workers in the area throwing parties, though it's a bit odd that there are a lot of non-Ottawa bottles there. It might have been a tavern dump.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp