River bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mihai

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Saturday I found some more bottles in Thames. It took me a while to clean them and even now they have a lot of staines but this guy who invented the bottle didn't think about us, how dificult will be to clean the inside. If I only put my hands on him...[:mad:]
Any information regarding the age, producers, location, will be more than welcome.
They are mainly milk bottles but a Coca Cola one with the following embossing (twice)
Coca-Cola
TRADE MARK REGISTERED
On the base is "57 F 62".
As far as I found on Internet this bottle could be either from 1957 or from 1962, but I not sure. I'm sorry I cannot say much about size as the imperial measures are totaly strange for me, but is about 0.25litres

Ge94884.jpg

Mihai

Reaction score
The next one is a milk bottle embossed "Golden Seal" with a star above that looks like David's Star and with "CONTENTS 1 PT" under.
On the back is :
"THIS BOTTLE COSTS
4d
PLEASE RINSE AND RETURN"
On the heel is "Z270" in front and "HUGB33" in the back.

Ge95554.jpg

Attachments

• Ge95554.jpg
    Ge95554.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 71

Mihai

Reaction score
Next is a 1 pint milk bottle embossed "United Dairies". On the heel is "R 87 Y".

Tr50319.jpg

Attachments

• Tr50319.jpg
    Tr50319.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 79

Mihai

Reaction score
Next is a United Dairies milk bottle but with a diffrent design. "UNITED DAIRIES" in front and "CONTENTS 1 PT" IN BACK. On heel is "Z506" in front and "CUGB 25 R" in the back.

Lj22515.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22515.jpg
    Lj22515.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 65

Mihai

Reaction score
Next is an 1 pint milk bottle from Express. On base is:
V 381
C C 47
UGB

Zx69915.jpg

Mihai

Reaction score
The last milk bottle is from London Co-op Society Limited. with the full embossing in front and only the LCS logo on the back. On base is
W W
42/1
8 A

Da83613.jpg

Attachments

• Da83613.jpg
    Da83613.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 80

madpaddla

Reaction score
Mihai:

Great finds and pics. They cleaned well. Nice post before about metal detectors. About your bottles. The coke is common I believe. If it was from the WWII period it would be worth more. The milks: The Golden Seal one is the oldest. But each is determined by dairy/collectability etc. The others are more knowledgable but thats what I got. Keep up the great posts.

I'm a river finder also: Uses a kayak.

Madpaddla

Mihai

Reaction score
Hi Madpaddla,

Thank you for encouragement.
I can see that you have a pretty good idea about the bottles. Could you please tell me roughly how old they are? The value is irrelevant as I don't want to sell them. It could be nice to value a bit thou.
About the metal detector I can say that, against all advices, I bought on eBay a cheap one which is still to come. I'm not in my best financial situation as I bougtht my house just three months ago. But I consider this one as the backup detector and I'll buy the main one later. Is a bit like putting the carriage ahead of horses but I think is OK.

Mihai

Reaction score
Madpaddla, how do you search for bottles from a kayak. Do you use a fishing net? And isn't this kind of boat a bit unstable? Looking for bottles and clay pipes I saw two girls overturning in one. Or was it a canoe? I don't know.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Mihai:

Not knowing much about UK bottles here are some suggestions

1. Ebay: Search it all over. Pick apart the information. Some are lies some are real facts.
2. Use this search engine. It searches Google, Yahoo, Msn, Ask Jeeves and more. I strongly suggest this site to all. No spam etc. One of the tricks my girlfriend taught me, Thank Sara.
http://www.metacrawler.com/info.metac/
3. Good to local antique stores. Buy up good books. I asked for an amazon gift and bought 5 books for $50.
4. Keep digging/wadding/diving/raking/ and all else glass. Take care. Your milks are nice and once you get duplicates, save the best.

Madpaddla

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi