H.J. Heinz Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

valhom

Reaction score
Here's a ketchup? H.J. Heinz bottle. It's about little over 7 inches tall.

On the bottom, it says H.J. Heinz Co. 186 Pat.

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/tormented666soul/01c5186e.jpg

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/tormented666soul/20fd6627.jpg

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/tormented666soul/8e4b6697.jpg

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/tormented666soul/5c136ca4.jpg

Could someone please give me some background history about this bottle? How much it could be worth? Thank you!

surfaceone

Reaction score
01c5186e.jpg

Cody,

That is not a ketchup bottle. The form is called a "Club Sauce"

"#186-woozy sauce-1913-1945" From.

Henry J. introduced his "Worcester sauce" in late 1876 to avoid a lawsuit from Lea & Perrins for infringing on their trademark name. More Here.

I don't believe it has very much worth in the dollars & cents department.

heinz3.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thankyou Surface one for your links - I couldn't red them or even copy them on this old NY computer. Send me an email with them please.
I have an old Heinz jar that has a square tooled lip of about 1-1/2 " x 1/4" on a 1-1/2"neck. The bottle is about 8" high and has some partial labeling on it.
The bottom is embossed with "/ HEINZ " curved over "/ BROS & CO. " over "/ NO 52 " which is also curved.
The label shows ONION over HEINZ BROS & CO. over a center trademark and then the address OFFICE 145 FIRST AVE. over PITTSBURG PA.

That about covers it. I look forward to hour comments. <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
RED Matthews

RCO

Reaction score
i recently found a similar bottle in that 40's dump i've been digging up , it said heinz on bottom and i was pretty sure it wasn't for ketchup and for some sort of sauce . think there pretty common as i'd imagine alot of worchester sauce was sold although not as common as ketchup bottles . i seem to dig up a couple of those each dump .

2find4me

Reaction score
Is one of these your bottles? Mine are from Owen Illinois. I think yours is the one 2nd to left.

15DB599460E74CE3BC2808FCE600E7EB.jpg

Attachments

• 15DB599460E74CE3BC2808FCE600E7EB.jpg
    15DB599460E74CE3BC2808FCE600E7EB.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 194

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Thankyou Surface one for your links - I couldn't red them or even copy them on this old NY computer. Send me an email with them please.
I have an old Heinz jar that has a square tooled lip of about 1-1/2 " x 1/4" on a 1-1/2"neck. The bottle is about 8" high and has some partial labeling on it.
The bottom is embossed with "/ HEINZ " curved over "/ BROS & CO. " over "/ NO 52 " which is also curved.
The label shows ONION over HEINZ BROS & CO. over a center trademark and then the address OFFICE 145 FIRST AVE. over PITTSBURG PA.

That about covers it. I look forward to hour comments. <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
RED Matthews

Hello RED,

I think this may be a very interesting bottle. I'd love to see some photos if you have the opportunity. Does the trade mark include a Maltese Cross?

I've dug dozens of H.J. Heinz bottles, even an F&J Heinz, but I've never dug a Heinz Bros. anything.

I found this old thread: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-94602/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#94604

This BIN is Currently Playing at the Fleabay Drive-In. This one was a Previous Feature.

"Know all
men by these presents, that we, Charles Horst-
meyer Fred J. Heinz, and Jacob Heinz, doing
business as partners under the firm name of
Heinz Bros. & Co., In Marshall county state
of Indiana, and elsewhere in said state and In
the United States, the principal office of said
firm being at Pittsburg, state of Pennsylvania.
at Nos 317 & 319 First avenue, by Charles
Horstmeyer, of said firm, do hereby sell,
transfe,r and deliver into the actual possession
of John R. Dietrich, of Bremen in Marshall
county, state of Indiana, the personal prop-
erty of said firm now at Bremen, aforesaid,
and described generally as follows: Two sal-
ting houses each 24x136 feet, and all the prop-
erty and fixtures, of every kind and description
now in and about said houses, and used
for carrying on the business of salting, curing,
receiving, and removing pickles and other
products of the soil, as heretofore used and
carried on at said place by said firm of Heinz
Bros. & Co..."The Northeastern Reporter, 1898.

"1882 - Oct. 17 – Married Emma Heintz (“Heinzâ€), a native of Pittsburgh. Her brothers Otto, Jacob and Fred Heinz were founders of Heinz Bros. & Co. of Pittsburgh, a direct competitor to H.J. Heinz Co. in the manufacture of pickles, ketchup, relish, chow-chow and other food products. It's said she helped finance her brothers in the establishment of the business..." From.

"PITTSBURG, Oct. 10: Jacob C. Heinz, of the firm of Heinz Bros. & Co., the First avenue pickle and preserve dealers, had a hearing before Alderman Gripp yesterday on a charge of arson. Heinz was held in $2,000 bail for the November term of court. The bail bond was promptly furnished. (Source: The Christian Recorder, Phila., Pa.; Oct. 12, 1893.)" From.

yodeling-pickle.jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi