Pepsi-cola / deco / basket-weave / soda bottle design pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I received my Walter Mack book today. But instead of me commenting on it, I'll let you read the pertinent parts for yourselves from these scanned pages ...

(By the way, the book is in almost near mint uncirculated condition)

Pepsi Walter Mack Book (2).jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
My book is on it's way. So, this just brings us back to the original questions

Carr & Steelman...............

jblaylock

Reaction score
Ok, my theory

Walter Mack goes to Carr to design the bottle. Carr designs the bottle and he contact McLaughlin to design the label. Carr, with his design goes to Armstrong Cork Company who meets with Steelman. Steelman sketches out the patent information and his son makes the mold.

120,277 is born.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

But what about this from Stephanie Capparell's book? Some of it she probably got from Walter Mack's book - but what about the rest of it?

Carr Baked In Label Stephanie Capparell (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Food for thought ...

Note: Both of the following patentees were "Assignors to the Pepsi Cola Company" at almost the same identical time!

James Shipley Steelman Bottle Patent
Filed: February 6, 1940
Issued: April 30, 1940

James Gordon Carr Cooler Patent
Filed: April 26, 1940
Issued: August 20, 1940

Question:

If James Gordon Carr was an accomplished architectural draftsman who designed and patented a sophisticated bottle cooler, not to mention the complexities of the 1939 World's Fair Aviation building, then why would he need to seek out the talents of a glass factory draftsman to design and patent a relatively simple soda bottle?

I still think we are missing something! But I'm not sure what it might be!

[ Article - 1938 ]

Carr James Gordon 1938 New York (2).jpg

Carr James Gordon 1938 New York.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of that might explain this mystery is to relate it to the situation that occurred with the design and patent of the 1915 Coca Cola bottle. The patent was registered under the name of Alexander Samuelson, who was the plant superintendent for the Root Glass Company in 1915. But in reality, the bottle was designed by Earl R. Dean, who was the mold shop foreman for Root Glass at the time. But it took almost 100 years before Earl R. Dean finally got the recognition he deserved. Today, even the Coca Cola Company gives credit to Dean for designing the bottle. Based on what I know about all of that, the main reason the patent was in Samuelson's name is because he was a suit-wearing plant superintendent and Dean was only a grease-under-the-fingernails mold shop foreman.

Perhaps something similar occurred with the 1940 Pepsi Cola bottle. Because James Steelman worked for the Armstrong Cork Company at the time, and who already had 20 other bottle patents under his belt, that it was decided to put the 1940 Pepsi Cola bottle patent in his name instead of the bottle's true designer, James Gordon Carr.

In other words ...

1. The 1940 Pepsi Cola bottle was actually designed by James Gordon Carr.

2. James Shipely Steelman had nothing to do with the bottle's original design other than his name was put on the patent.

But even if this is true, how is anyone ever going to prove it?

[ 1915 Coca Cola bottle patent - With Alexander Samuelson's name - Which should be Earl R. Dean ]

Coca Cola Bottle Patent 1915 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Its possible the rest of the story exist in the 1950 New Yorker magazine I have been talking about, or possibly the 1940 Glass Packer magazine. Find the magazines that contain those two articles and this mystery might be solved in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado