Pepsi-cola / deco / basket-weave / soda bottle design pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

There are several copies of both of those magazines on eBay. I contacted every seller to inquire about the Pepsi Cola article and/or advertisement. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Good News!

As it turns out, the Pepsi Cola articles are in both the July 1, 1950 issue and the July 8, 1950 issue. Its actually a two part article with the July 1st issue containing Part 1 and the July 8th issue containing Part 2. All total it is comprised of about 30 Pages, some of which are only single columns with various advertisements.

Great News!

I just subscribed to a website that allows me to read the entire article page by page. I'm reading through it now and will report back later!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Update ...

I'm still reading through the entire article, but based on what I've read so far, it appears to me that the term "baked-in" is referring to the 1940 ...

Embossed Bottle

... and not the ACL bottle!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

And that the Embossed Bottle was designed by ...

James Gordon Carr

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is Page 38 of the July 8, 1950 issue where the "baked-in label" reference can be seen. Even though the website allows me to save images directly to my files, they result in being very small, somewhat blurry, and almost unreadable. The best results are to print the pages directly form the website, which is what I did with this example. Even though its not picture-perfect, its probably the best I'm going to be able to do. I cropped the pertinent portion, but you might have to save it to your own files to clearly read it. At some point I might print all 30 pages, but I'm not prepared to do that just yet. The entire article appears to be the result of personal interviews between the author and Walter Mack.

Cover - July 8, 1950

New Yorker Magazine July 8, 1950 Cover.jpg

Page 38

New Yorker Magazine July 8, 1950 Pepsi Cola (2).jpg

Cropped portion of Page 38

New Yorker Magazine July 8, 1950 Pepsi Cola Cropped (3).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the first page of the article from the July 1, 1950 issue. But this is a 'saved' example, which is small, blurry, and not as clear as a printed example. However, when I read the article on the website itself, the images are crystal clear and almost like holding the magazine in my hands. I'm trying to figure out a way to save the images so they are readable and not have to print each individual page, but I haven't been able to do that yet. If/when I do find a way, I will share them.

New Yorker Magazine July 1, 1950 (1).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Long story short / Cut to the chase ...

1. The Glass Packer magazine article was issued in ...

January of 1940 and refers to a 'baked-in' (embossed label)

2. James Steelman filed his (embossed) bottle patent on ...

February 6, 1940 and was approved on April 30, 1940

3. The new James Steelman patented (embossed) bottles were ...

First released around June of 1940

But I still don't know, and may never know ...

1. Why James Steelman's name is on the 1940 (embossed) bottle patent when in all likelihood it was designed by James Gordon Carr.

2. Exactly what part Donald McLaughlin played in all of this.

The closest thing to an answer I can think of regarding all of this is to find a copy of the January 1940 issue of ...

The Glass Packer Magazine

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

I can't prove it yet, and may never be able to, but I'm willing to put my reputation on the line that James Gordon Carr designed the Pepsi Cola 'wave' bottle in 1940. And because I'm so confident about this, any additional research I do will be in trying to determine why James Steelman's name is on the patent and not James Gordon Carr. The answer might or might not be found in the 1940 issue of the Glass Packer magazine, but whether it is or not, from this day forward I personally consider James Gordon Carr as the rightful designer of the 1940 Pepsi Cola 'wave' bottle!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until such time as something presents itself to refute it!

Signed:

Sodapopbob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The two main reasons I'm confident that James Gordon Carr designed the Pepsi Cola 'wave' bottle are because ...

1. Walter S. Mack said so in his own autobiography. If the onetime president of the Pepsi Cola Company said as much, who can dispute it?

Pepsi Walter Mack Book (4).jpg

2. Charles G. Miller's article in the January 1940 issue of the Glass Packer magazine says the same thing. This article was published before the Pepsi Cola 'wave' bottle was even patented.

These three snippets connect in sequence from top to bottom ...

View attachment 171149

View attachment 171150

View attachment 171151

Glass Packer Magazine Cover 1940.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member