Glass Bird and Help Dating Site?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Recall this post on my first dug Christmas Ornament? Well, today I went digging to relieve stress, and I ended up slashing my finger open when removing cinder-blocks from the pit that is a building's remains-- stuck my hand in and dragged it with the brick along broken glass under it. Whoops. So I began wiping the blood on anything available as I had no bandages. I used leaves, trees, bricks, and eventually gave up as it continued to get all over broken glass, dirt, blocks, etc. Great Halloween theme for the area-- bloody walls and trees as I continued to dig for another hour. Got it on my car, too. My clothes sufficed well enough, albeit I was wearing my good jeans. Currently, I'm again bleeding as it just escaped the bandages and went onto my keyboard. My parent just told me, before I could finish this post, that she thinks I should get stitches. Such a small wound bleeds so much. LOL.
Glass%2BBird%2B004.JPG
Before I left, I also thought I was gonna get caught. There are no signs other than a For Sale sign that lays at the edge of the woods, so I would assume that I couldn't really get in trouble... But when you hear what sounds like a Police Scanner right at the top of the hill, and it doesn't sound like it's driving by on the road up there.... You kind of freeze and look. After about a minute, I walked into the open to check it out. No one was around, but I had heard two sentences on it before it went silent. So, I piled some of my finds at the edge of the woods that overlooks the road, opposite side of where I parked. And then I went back to digging.
Glass%2BBird%2B011.JPG
Glass%2BBird%2B009.JPG
Christmas light? Ornament? ^But before I left, I was trying to date the site.We've used cinder-blocks too long to be able to put much of a cap on the site's expected age, and it's filled with pavers that are likely re-used as these are TOC pieces in a place turning up bottles from the '40s on as well as the shard to one sand-pontiled bottle that was likely foreign (I believe that there was a road-house or beer-hall there due to shattered beer steins, plates, bowls, shot-glasses, etc.) So... nothing is being helpful in determining the age of the site, and not much will other than the thickness of the trees filling it. BUT, if someone can put a date on the cans, then I think that we will know when the building was demolished (it would be not long before some of these, I'd assume) as some were under cinder-blocks, most of these in a corner protected from hard debris.
Glass%2BBird%2B012.JPG
Glass%2BBird%2B014.JPG
Very wide mouth. Ideas on age? ^It seems painted on, not baked on like an ACL. It's so weird but was somehow intact amongst rubble.
Glass%2BBird%2B010.JPG
Presto knife-open insert?
Glass%2BBird%2B007.JPG
Can 1. When did this style leave production? ^
Glass%2BBird%2B016.JPG
Can 2, Pat Pend. When did this style begin-- it's Pre-patent. ^Can 3.Anyone think there may be paint under the rust, still? I'd like to know the brands if possible to clean up. Trimble and Bolen's pavers.20th Century and maybe an Athen's Block variant I've not seen.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Are your tetanus shots up to date?Good looking pile, particularly the bricks and the ornament. You might get enough of them to make a "paver park" in your back yard. If memory serves, the aluminum/steel cans with the pop tabs were only in use for a couple of years near 1963. All steel cans went quickly by the wayside. If mom wants you to have stitches, listen to your mother. You don't need a staff infection, friend. Scott

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I believe your bird is another Christmas ornament. The Mickey's is earlier than I remember, but I only remember back to the early 70s and they were green barrels, so not much help there. I found tons of those Presto tops in a WWII trash pile near where I used to live.Love those pavers, too!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Scott, I'm always digging pavers now days. I really enjoy them:
New%2Bblocks%2521%2B014.JPG
Updates%2B049.JPG
Michael, of course you love 'em. Not much not mortared-over in that pile, but I have many more for you. ;)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I know I dug a bird the same or similar and if I remember it was a light bulb, still meant as a X-mas decoration though I think.

sunrunner

Reaction score
the bird is cool . going south on rt 22 from Sumerset oh there is a creek full of those Roseville pavers .

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I saw a glass bird like mine on here once accidentally whilst looking through old threads.The Buckeye Block of Roseville in the pic of 3 pavers I found in the sand at the beach over here in Michigan.

botlguy

Reaction score
I'll go along with most that has been said. 1940s + and the bird is a Christmas ornament in my opinion, probably lighted.I would surely enjoy dealing for some of those pavers / bricks if the shipping didn't cost so much. How many could you get into a Large Flat Rate USPS box? Should be 6 to 9. $18.00 there, not so bad. I've got some nice bottles I would trade. Jim

botlguy

Reaction score
I'll go along with most that has been said. 1940s + and the bird is a Christmas ornament in my opinion, probably lighted.I would surely enjoy dealing for some of those pavers / bricks if the shipping didn't cost so much. How many could you get into a Large Flat Rate USPS box? Should be 6 to 9. $18.00 there, not so bad. I've got some nice bottles I would trade. Jim

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The bird was very interesting. Well, Jim, I'm afraid that there are some I'd like to keep such as the Metropolitan and Nelsonville in one of my responses. Some others go to a member here as we've made arrangements in which he will get, according to my chart, 12 different bricks. 2 have already been shipped in a medium box, which is the max amount to safely ship as they must be wrapped, for like $12.35 if I recall? Most of my bricks are just mortared over, and it doesn't look pretty when it comes off.It's going to be awhile before I can sell quality pieces to multiple people as they just don't pop up in good condition. I will keep digging the site, maybe even make a probe of sorts as some are indeed underground-- I think the deepest I pulled today was 8 inches down.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94