Cal-Ade...'Nectar of Tree Ripe Oranges'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
I discovered this brand when researching Thorpe's of Vancouver BC and found out they were distributing it. To date I have not seen a bottle, but have seen crowns. They must not have had the same success asTrue- Ade.
This is a sign I have an opportunity to aquire, but would like to know more about the brand.
20151224_112157.jpg

Here you can see Cal-Ade advertied on a Thorpe's delivery truck in Vancouver BC... Late 20's early 30's.

And also at the Vancouver exhibition in 1930.

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 101
  • attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 148

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well this is the name patent ftom October 3, 1925.....and the name was also revived in 1966.
CAL-ADE

NONALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES-NAMELY, AN ORANGE DRINK

Owned by:*EXCHANGE ORANGE PRODUCTS COMPANY, THE

Serial Number:*71221177

A little further research reveals that Exchange Orange Products Company owned 5 trademarks?

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well this is interesting.... In the 1950's Sunkist and Exchange Orange Products Company were sued for basically having a monopoly on Valencia Oranges. Anyways here is a snippet of the case that reveals Sunkist owned EOP.....

Sunkist Growers, Inc., a corporation, was sued in the district court originally under its former name, California Fruit Growers Exchange. It is and has been a nonprofit agricultural cooperative marketing association. The second defendant, The Exchange Orange Products Company, a corporation, was sued in the court below as The Exchange Orange Products Company. At all times it was a wholly owned subsidiary of Sunkist.*

This is the link.
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/284/1/427086/

Well now more questions.... When did Sunkist aquire EOP?...
And what were the other trademarks under EOP?

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
According to this book Sunkist developed the Exchange Orange Products Company in 1926.
I can only assume the Cal-Ade product was discontinued while the company continued the processing opperations.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Za...age&q=exchange orange products company&f=true

So in short EOP is Sunkist!... So where are the bottles from Cal- Ade?.... Did they possibly only use paper labeled bottles?.... If so you would think a lable must exist somewhere.

2find4me

Reaction score
I saw your facebook posts and I have been on the lookout. I found this bottle a while back, it is on the orange drink topic with a similar name. "Tru-Fruit" Sunny-Fruit Wonder Orange Drink -> LINK. I sold it a while back.

2find4me

Reaction score
A Cal-Ade Soda Cap -> LINK
Cal-Ade Fire Warning Sign -> LINK Sold for $51.

Cal-Ade Trademark -> LINK & LINK
Informative link about Sunkist & EOP -> LINK
EOP filed in 1958 -> LINK

Check out this Cal-Ade Metal Sample Cap (W.E. Rumming, Nanaimo, B.C.) -> LINK
And here are a couple of W.E. Rumming Nanaimo, B.C. Bottles -> LINK & LINK (I am assuming he was a bottler of Cal-Ade)About W.E. Rumming and his bottles... -> LINK He bottled a few acl sodas and has one known paper label soda.

Cal-Ade Ontario Article -> LINK
Also found a snippet stating M.C. Anthony of the San Diego Soda Works bottled Cal-Ade from 1933 Directory. Cool Pic of the San Diego Soda Works:
hi-res

In 1925, M.C. Anthony was the Proprietor of the Brawley Bottling Works.
In some places, Cal-Ade is called an orange extract and concentrate for dairy drink.
Just for reference, Thorpe & Co. was in business from 1889-1935.
The bottles must be scarce, as I could not find an example anywhere.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info! I did a post on Thorpe's a while back https://www.antique-bottles.net/showthread.php?666470-Cross-Co-Vancouver-B-C-1894-1963

But during that research found little to no references to Cal-Ade.....finding the sign in my local shop has rekindled the flame to find a bottle! I had no clue that WE Rumming bottled the product as well!
So it seems that it was a very well distributed product. The photo of the San Diego Soda Works is great.

Here is that other Cal-Ade sign approx. 7x10 inches... and the Rumming crown (killer man!), it would stand to reason then that there were crowns marked Thorpe's or Country Club Beverages...their successor.
Cal-Ade.jpgRumming --Cal-Ade.jpg

This appears to be a latter crown with no city or bottler marked.

View attachment 168151

Last edited:

jblaylock

Reaction score
I don't have any info to add to your research, but I wanted to say that "Nectar of tree ripe oranges" sounds delicious....I'd drink it!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well I finally bit the bullet and got the sign!!!....it did sit in the store since December of last year, so 8 plus months, and it was reduced from the original...plus he knocked it down further :cool:
Colors are bright...it is pretty crinkly but I suppose being a tacker they did that quite easily...but I'm really stoked to have this super tough to find sign in my collection:D

20160828_125636.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado