Cal-Ade...'Nectar of Tree Ripe Oranges'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thanks!......Still looking for a bottle.. even a photo would be great...speaking of photos, here is the Thorpe's delivery truck and the Vancouver BC Exhibition stand, yes again, but full sized so you don't have to click on a stupid thumbnail;) ...I just love these old photos!

attachment.jpeg

attachment-1.jpeg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Another interesting thing I just discovered....the sign is marked ' Vitachrome Inc. Los Angeles and San Fransisco' ......this company formed in 1916 is still in operation to this day, here check this out.

http://www.vitachrome.com/

VCM_pageTitle_history01.gif
VCM_history_plant01.jpg
VCM_history_plant02.jpg
VCM_history_plant04.jpg
VCM_linkTitle_02.gif

Vitachrome Graphics has an old history in Los Angeles, where it is known today as the oldest screen printer on the West Coast. Back in 1916, the president of Los Angeles letterpress printer Young & McAllister became interested in the possibilities of printing display cards, metal signs and posters by the silkscreen process. It is from there that Vitachrome was born; "Vita", meaning "life," and "Chrome," meaning "color," (The "Color of Life") to describe the silkscreening division of Young & McAllister. This type of screen-printed work was well received by the trade, and the division prospered.
By 1919, the company found that production of Signage and Advertising Displays made by way of letterpress was not as durable and dependable as that of screenprinting. Local artisans from the Los Angeles Craftsman era helped evolve Vitachrome into a self-sustaining production facility, developing new creative techniques and processes that are still used in today's modern screen-print production. Throughout the 1920s and 30s, Vitachrome sales force grew to represent and service the needs of businesses in many of our major metropolitan cities throughout the U.S.
Vitachrome helped in supporting the US war effort during both WWI and WWII in producing graphics that would be applied to planes, trains and military equipment.
As the company grew in display and metal sign printing (before the advent of pressure sensitive decals), water-slide and solvent applied decalcomania became more in demand during the 1920s and 30s. Even today, Vitachrome continues to make many variations of water-slide and solvent-applied decalcomania for many industries. (de*cal*co*ma*ni*a- (n)- the process of transferring designs printed on specially prepared paper to various surfaces).

VCM_history_products01.jpg
VCM_history_products02.jpg
VCM_history_products05.jpg
VCM_linkTitle_02.gif

During the Great Depression of the 30s, research was underway to produce ceramic decalcomania for fine china, and by 1947, Vitachrome was commercially screenprinting these decals for companies like Lennox and Franciscan.

In 1952, efforts were discontinued in the metal sign business and sales efforts increased in the display and decal markets.
In 1964, Vitachrome moved its operations from a loft in downtown Los Angeles to a newly constructed 25,000 square foot facility in Rosemead, California.
During the 60s and 70s, Vitachrome prospered with the need to supply local manufacturers with aero-graphics for military and space projects. Thanks to the marketing efforts of a sales agent in San Francisco and the emergence of the credit card markets, Vitachrome was able to help Bank of America roll out and promote the BankAmericard program (later to become Visa™). To date, we continue to manufacture point of purchase related collateral like double-sided window decals, table tents, "take-one" holders, tip trays, ATM faceplates, kiosk signage and various other banking-related promotional graphics to businesses worldwide.
The mid 1970s through the 80s were a period of acquisitions. Geo. Hesik Inc., Meyercord Pacific, Art Decal, Industrial Markings and Durachrome Products became integrated into one facility in Anaheim, California, which enabled Vitachrome to expand its printing and converting capabilities. In 1988, Vitachrome Graphics relocated to its current 44,000 sqft. facility in Santa Fe Springs, California.
VCM_history_products06.jpg
VCM_history_products07.jpg
VCM_history_products08.jpg
VCM_linkTitle_02.gif

The year 1990 brought the last "changing of the guard", when long-time salesmen Tony Won and Gary Durbin purchased the company from the retiring board of directors/ shareholders. During this time, Art Decal was spun-off and is still enjoying success as a ceramic decal manufacturer in Long Beach, California. During this transition, Vitachrome Graphics changed its official corporate name to Vitachrome Graphics Group, Inc., which better recognized the consolidation of the various mergers.
Recently, Vitachrome brought its last stand-alone acquisition, Printed Plastic Solutions under the same roof. Printing of plastic cards, which PPS manufactures, has helped complete the extensive print production advantages of doing business with Vitachrome.
With the quick evolution of computers, Vitachrome, from the 1990's through today, has seen its most exciting and fast-changing technological advances. This has allowed us to better service clients with "on-demand" printing and shorter print and fabrication production runs... we are still changing after all these years!

vita_contact.jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
That is excellent! Love the bright orange on that sign. Nice one.

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
I never posted a photo of my CAL-ADE that now resides above my computer desk....I'm still real happy about having it!
I have some interesting articles from newsprints to show as well now.

20170122_152017.jpg

In the Thorpe's photo I posted there are many bottles in there but I still can't make out a CAL-ADE....this may be as close as I'll ever get to see a bottle!...but I am very excited to find this ad which no doubt depicts a paper label. This was the early or beginning times for CAL-ADE in 1927.

CAL-ADE, Eugene Oregon, The Eugene Guard, 8 Aug 1927, Mon.
CAL-ADE, Eugene Oregon,  The Eugene Guard, 8 Aug 1927, Mon.jpg

I also managed to locate this product being advertised in Lethbridge Alberta, so Vancouver BC was not the only one...but the ads are tough to locate!, this one is dated 1935 but I doubt the product lasted into the 1940's.

CAL-ADE The Lethbridge Herald, 11 Jul 1935, Thu.
CAL-ADE   The Lethbridge Herald, 11 Jul 1935, Thu.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown