U.S.TEL.CO., Hemingray

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Szyszka2

Reaction score
2 items here. Got them sometime over the years, any value ?
1. U.S.TEL.CO. light greenish color, marked 1 on very top, single petticoat - no drip points nor other markings, smooth and few air bubbles almost 4&1/4 in tall.
2. Hemingray, Aqua, Patented May 2 1893 , single petticoat with sharp drip points, no other numbers on it, almost 4&1/4 in tall, a bit rough feeling and small air bubbles. Looks like a later CD 121 with the flared skirt, but its not numbered anywhere I can find. Thanks !
szyszka2

POLECAT

Reaction score
People seem to like U.S. TEL's especially in shades of green and olive. Whenever one comes up for sale on ICON its usually sold quickly and at book value. I believe 121 is the only style known.

POLECAT

Reaction score
If my memory serves me right, for the HG 121, if it has the patent date on front and rear its worth a bit of money.

Szyszka2

Reaction score
Hemingray back.jpgHemingray front.jpgHemingray looking inside.jpgUS TEL CO front.jpgUS TEL CO inside look to top.jpg
2 items here. Got them sometime over the years, any value ?
1. U.S.TEL.CO. light greenish color, marked 1 on very top, single petticoat - no drip points nor other markings, smooth and few air bubbles almost 4&1/4 in tall.
2. Hemingray, Aqua, Patented May 2 1893 , single petticoat with sharp drip points, no other numbers on it, almost 4&1/4 in tall, a bit rough feeling and small air bubbles. Looks like a later CD 121 with the flared skirt, but its not numbered anywhere I can find. Thanks !
szyszka2

Hope these are OK, Im not the greatest photographer. As you can hopefully see on the Hemingray some chips off the petticoat and drip points, some swril indentations in glass, and not really smooth glass. But there is no "No." any where on it, and none of the words are mispelled. I think.

The US TEL couple chips, large 1 on top, glass also has some swirls, couple bigger air bubbles. I did find a bit reseach , US TEL started in Cleveland Ohio 1898 as Union Suburban Telephone and telegraph and Oct of that year changed to the US TEL CO.. Info I found on http://www.nia.org/history_and_guide/chapters/Vol_1-20_Telephone_Companies_-_Insulators.pdf. Article says maybe appear Brookfield made them, CD 121. But Im not finding information as to value ? I found a few more articles about their law suits etc, but thats all.
Belinda

POLECAT

Reaction score
HEMINGRAY CD 121 EIN [120] Aqua, Blue Aqua $1-2, Milky Aqua $175-200, Yellow Green $200-250

U.S. TEL. CO. CD 121 EIN [010] Aqua, Blue Aqua, Dark Aqua $10-15, Light Green $20-30, Green $30-40, Olive Green Yellow Green $50-75

These are the values from the 2015 guide: http://www.insulatorpriceguide.com - Another invaluable resource. I put other colors in so you can see how drastically color can affect value. In reality, these are not the only color shades and one could easily drive themselves mad trying to pin down a color. For most insulators, you could put together a pretty good color run from one end of the "book listed" spectrum to the other.

Looks like your USTEL is an aqua, maybe a green aqua. Light green is probably stretching it but you can make an emerald chunk of glass look amber if camera and light settings are off so I could be wrong. The wire groove rust could come off with the right cleaning and that piece looks clean overall from your photos.

Szyszka2

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help ! Wow ! I didnt realize what a following and popularity the insulator has. I think my USTEL is a light Aqua with greenish undertones. I see their colors can make or break the deal. So off they go to a yard sale. lol
So I have this Brookfield. I call it my "Love " insulator. It has an embossed XO on the very top, no numbers anywhere on it, under 4 inches tall. I found some info that indicates maybe made between 1906 - 1926 ? Anything special ?
XO  Brookfield.jpgBrookfield  XO.jpgInside Brookfield XO.jpg

POLECAT

Reaction score
From the top it looks like a CD 102 but I'm not positive. Might be a 121. Very common either way. Find a 102 that says WESTINGHOUSE NO. 3 and thats a completely different story =)

Szyszka2

Reaction score
So not every insulator produced was ever do***ented? I looked on http://glassian.org/ yes it looks like a 102, minor that the screw thread ends at top of the words Brookfield, and no mention of the embossed XO on the very top. The 121 is pretty lavendar. Well i guess anther one for the yard sale !
Thanks Lisa H (i didnt think to post pictures) and Polecat for the help identiying these for me. Who knew what an interesting world we live in of collectables! So looking at the side list of forum posts, might be help for just about anything ? Note to self - bookmark this page !

POLECAT

Reaction score
Ugh. The filter on this site is sofa king rediculous. Took me forever to figure out that you said do***ented, doc um ented.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi