First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

And that this so called "morphing" from one nickname to the other possibly occurred during the 1960s

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

And that this so called "morphing" from one nickname to the other might have had something to do with this drawing that appeared in the first issue of the Whistl'n Dixie magazine in 1969, as well as in Cecil Munsey's book in 1972 ...

Mae West 1972 Cecil Munsey Book Page 71 (3).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

When I posted this 1947 snippet I wasn't sure where it came from, so I looked around and discovered it originated from this Coca Cola lawsuit. Its the earliest reference I have found so far that uses the term "hourglass" in relation to the shape of a Coca Cola bottle. I also discovered that the use of the term "hourglass" in connection with Coca Cola bottles is almost as common as the term "hobbleskirt."

http://www.leagle.com/decision/1947442162F2d280_1355/COCA-COLA CO. v. SNOW CREST BEVERAGES

"These local bottlers mix the syrup with carbonated water, package the combination in distinctive 6 oz., somewhat hourglass shaped, bottles into the glass of which the trade-mark "Coca-Cola" in script is blown, and sell the bottled product to retail outlets."

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I don't want to dwell on the Tab glasses, but I can tell you that Tab was introduced in 1963 and the Coca Cola Company had a limited time offer for the Tab "hourglass" glasses going on in 1977. But the main thing I'm trying to point out is that Coca Cola did indeed use the term "hourglass" in their advertising over the years. Now I just need to try and determine when the term was first used and by who.

Tab glasses ad from 1977 ...

Coca Cola Hourglass Tab Glass 1977.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Especially notice in the 1977 Tab ad where it uses the term "Hour-Glass Figure"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I was curious as to when women's figures were first referred to as being "hour-glass shaped" and the earliest date I could find that used the term was from 1896. While digging a little deeper into the topic I discovered that one of if not the first women who was most often spoken about as having an hour-glass shaped figure was a famous opera singer and stage actress named Lillian Russell. But what's most interesting about Lillian Russell is her ambiguous connection with Coca Cola.

Ambiguous: Definition ...

"Of doubtful or uncertain nature; difficult to comprehend, distinguish, or classify; lacking clearness or definiteness; obscure."

For starters, please read this account where it discusses both Lillian Russell and Mae West in connection with hour-glass figures ...

https://goo.gl/AUzVOi

I will get back to the "ambiguous" part later, but for now just know that Lillian Russell's career preceded Mae West' career by at least 30+ years ...

Lillian Russell
Born: 1860
Died: 1922

Mae West
Born: 1893
Died: 1980

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Notice in the link I just posted where it briefly talks about Mae West fashioning her style after that of Lillian Russell.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm not sure when someone first realized the women on the tray was Lillian Nordica and not Lillian Russell, but it must have been sometime after ...

The Independent Record ~ September 19, 1955

Coca Cola Lillian Russell Independent Record Sept 19, 1955 (3).jpg

Coca Cola Lillian Russell Independent Record Sept 19, 1955 (4).jpg

Coca Cola Lillian Russell Independent Record Sept 19, 1955 (5).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members