First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of Dictionaries ...

The term "Mae West Life Jackets" was eventually entered into numerous dictionaries. But I cannot find a single dictionary that list a "Mae West Coca Cola Bottle"

http://www.memidex.com/mae-west

This same article appeared in numerous 1946 newspapers - with this particular one being from Cincinnati, Ohio

Mae West 1946 Dictionary (1).jpg

Mae West 1946 Dictionary (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I'm starting to think the nickname "Mae West" for a Coca Cola bottle never was a popular term. And if it ever was a popular term, it was used after WWII

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As for the 1939 use of the Mae West nickname by the high school reporter in Lake Park, Iowa, that puzzles me more than anything. I have searched for similar references between 1930 and 1950 and haven't found a single one. The 1939 reference is the only one that I can find during a twenty year timespan and I cannot find an explanation for it! Its weird and almost as if the high school reporter invented it herself.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I won't go into detail as to what all is involved with searching 4,436,251 newspaper listings for Mae West, but for the moment just know that the earliest date I have found so far for a true "Mae West Coca Cola Bottle" is from 1972. Which I think is kind of interesting because that is the same year that Cecil Munsey published his book ...

The Illustrated Guide To The Collectibles Of Coca Cola

On Page 71 of the book, Mr. Munsey writes ...

"The standardized bottle, because of its shape, was nicknamed the hobble-skirt or Mae West bottle."

And in parentheses at the end of the text, apparently as a reference for where he got the information, he included ...

(Whistl'n Dixie, Atlanta, Georgia)

At this moment I have no clue what "Whistl'n Dixie" refers to, but I plan to do some research on it and see if I can find out.

Cecil Munsey Coca Cola Book.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
All I was able to find about "Whistl'n Dixie" is that it was a graphic art magazine located in Atlanta, Georgia and headed by a man named Don Trousdell. Because of the 1972 Cecil Munsey reference, they were obviously in publication at least as early as 1972, but they did not secure a trademark for the magazine until 1974.

Shown here is a portion of the cover of their first No. 1 issue, but I do not know exactly when it was released. Notice it shows Joseph Jacob, of Jacob's Pharmacy where Coca Cola was first sold, plus the top of a Coca Cola bottle. Surely this is the magazine that Cecil Munsey listed as a reference for where he got the information about the hobble-skirt and Mae West bottle ...

The description with the image reads ...

"Don Trousdell, the godfather of Graphic Design in Atlanta created memorable after memorable pieces of work over 4 decades and influenced so many designers. Here a clip of their famous firm Graphicsgroup promotion for Atlanta called Whistl'n Dixie No.1. It included creative direction by Don Trousdell and others as Eugene Wilkes, Janie Wright, Warren Weber, David Dorba, Christy Sheets."

(I have not been able to find a picture of the entire cover)

Whistl'n Dixie NO. 1.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the reference from Cecil Munsey's 1972 book that I scanned from my copy. But I do not know if the (Whistl'n Dixie, Atlanta Georgia) indicates where Mr. Munsey got just the drawing of Mae West or the information, or possibly where he got both - the drawing and the information ...

Mae West 1972 Cecil Munsey Book Page 71 (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
All I need to do is find one reference to the Mae West nickname earlier than 1972 and it will establish that Cecil Munsey did not originate the term in his book. And even though I'm still searching, this is the earliest reference I have found so far.

From ...

The Gatesville Star-Forum ~ Gatesville, Texas ~ May 11, 1972

(This is just part of an article about the history of a bottling family in Gatesville)

Coca Cola Mae West Gatesville Star Forum Texas May 11, 1972 (1).jpg

Coca Cola Mae West Gatesville Star Forum Texas May 11, 1972 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's just the type of reference I was hoping to find - I just wish it was even earlier because now I have the task of trying to determine when the first issue of "Whistl'n Dixie" was published.

This reference is from 1969-1970 ...

United States National Commission on Product Safety
Ralph Nader
Law-Arts Publishers

Hearings
Los Angeles June 1969
Washington July-August 1969
Volume 6, Part 2

https://goo.gl/Uoet1T

Coca Cola Mae West 1970 Snippet (1).jpg

Coca Cola Mae West 1970 Snippet (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Well, that didn't take as long as I thought it would - but I'd sure like to see the actual article - and now I need to find a Mae West nickname reference earlier than 1969 ...

http://www.tmfile.com/mark/?q=730192192

Whistl'n Dixie

Mark First Use Anywhere: 1969-05-15
Mark First Use in Commerce: 1969-05-15

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I found the picture of the No. 1 issue of Whistl'n Dixie on a website called "Pinterest." The individual who posted the picture was a gentleman named Hank Richardson. I found a contact for him and sent him an inquiry about the magazine. If he gets my message and replies, I will be sure to let you know what he has to say. In the meantime I'm continuing my search for a Mae West Coca Cola reference earlier than 1969.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94