First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Maybe someone should ask Dennis, he knows more about the subject than anyone else I've ever met.........................................oh wait a minute he doesn't come here anymore.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The following are some of the claims I have come across during the course of my research. If you do a simple Google search you will find similar results. They all pertain to the patent 1915 Coca Cola contour bottle ...

1. Mae West was the inspiration for the Coca Cola bottle.
2. The Coca Cola bottle was fashioned after Mae West.
3. During WWII, GIs called the Coca Cola bottle a Mae West.
4. GIs popularized the Mae West Coca Cola bottle during WWII.
5. Over the years, Mae West became a popular term to describe a Coca Cola bottle.
6. Coca Cola once sued Mae West for doing an impression of their bottle.
7. Etc.

Invitation ...

I invite everyone who believes even one of these claims to please provide doc-u-mented proof that even one of them is true. As for the claims that say "over the years," I have to wonder exactly what "years" they are referring to? Do they mean from the 1920s to the present? Or do they mean from the 1960s to the present?

All I can tell you at this juncture is that I cannot find a single shred of doc-u-mented proof earlier than 1969 that the patent 1915 Coca Cola bottle was ever referred to as a Mae West. As far as the 1939 Iowa high school reporter reference is concerned, that still remains a mystery with nothing I can find to substantiate it during the same time period.

Please note I'm not saying the Coca Cola bottle was never referred to as a Mae West earlier than about 1969 - I'm just saying I can't find anything to prove it! If someone now or in the future ever finds proof, please share it with us and I will not only stand corrected, I will be elated.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of nicknames ...

Dare I even address this one?

Wasp-Waisted

Coca Cola Wasp-Waisted Bottle.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Coca Cola "Nickname" Timeline ...

Note: There could very well be earlier or later dates for these so called nicknames, but those listed and their corresponding dates are all I have been able to find and confirm.

1917-1919 = Corrugated
1919 = Hobble Skirt ~ Coca Cola Bottling, Wichita, Kansas
1919 to Present = Hobble Skirt ~ Appears during every decade from the 1920s to the 2000s
1939 = Mae West ~ Lake Park, Iowa newspaper (Mystery - Only reference prior to 1969)
1969 to Present = Mae West
1970s = Wasp-Waisted

(All of the above are subject to revision)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

The first time I ever read about a Coca Cola bottle as a "Mae West" was in 1974. I was 22 years old and had just started collecting soda bottles and clearly remember the first book I ever bought on the subject was the still available 1971 edition of Cecil Munsey's book. I thought I had struck gold with the book because it had so much previously unpublished information about Coca Cola that after reading it I felt like an expert. In fact, the book has the same effect on me today! It so inspired me in 1974 that I gradually shifted my collecting interest to nothing but Coca Cola. Between 1975 and 1990 I amassed quite a collection of Coca Cola memorabilia. But in 1991 I sold the entire collection to a friend for $1,000.00. I still regret selling the collection because I know with certainty that it would be worth at least $10,000.00 in today's market. Oh well, live and learn! :eek:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Bob thanx for all the research. too bad about your coca cola collection.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Talk about live and learn ...

Around 1985 my wife bought me one of these office-size Cavalier coolers for my birthday and told me later that she paid $50.00 for it. It was in almost mint condition and worked perfectly. I used to plug it in from time to time and treat my kids and their friends to cold soda pop. The second you uncapped one of the chilled bottles, the soda would immediately turn to slush and it was the best I ever had. I was surprised to find one on eBay, and seeing it brings back memories of the days when my kids were still in elementary school. They are adults now and I currently have four grandchildren with another one due on the 25th of this month.

My wife paid $50.00 for one of these coolers in 1985, and this one on eBay has a Buy-It-Now price of $799.00. Check it out - the listing has a lot of great pictures ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Coca-Co...752494?hash=item48896524ee:g:d2AAAOSwJb9WrTYr

Coca Cola Cooler Cavalier.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

I sold my entire collection, that consisted of at least 100 items, for a measly $1,000.00 :mad:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Rich / iggy

Thanks!

And would somebody, anybody, please-please-please find a reference for a Mae West bottle earlier than 1969. I can't find one and its driving me crazy!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky