Ball Improved HG

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nickolas_

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous colored Improved. I used to collect Ball jars and had around 800 at one time but sold off a lot back in 2008 when I lost my job. Bought quite a few from Bob Clay and conversed with him a lot. I'm sad to lean recently of his passing it had been awhile since i talked to him. Anyway that's an E.B. Ball made Improved with helices on the rim which is a set of fine threads. Sometimes two and sometimes four helices can be seen on these. Just a characteristic of that particular machine. I collected jars made on certain machines and the E.B. Ball and Bingham machine jars were my favorites. I still have an Improved exactly like this one but not the dark. Most Ball jars made before the twenties will turn SCA or sun colored Amethyst from the amount of manganese dioxide used as a decolorizer in the glass batch. Later jars used selenium dioxide to save costs and those will get the dingy yellow tint to them. I had a bunch of SCA at one time but most are gone now. I still have some nice ones though. I miss my good jars I had some gorgeous colored Ball jars at one time. Im not much into collecting jars anymore but still like them and still have around 300 I guess, fruit jars that is downstairs boxed up. Nice jar.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu