Youngs Island RR, SC soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I picked up this bottle recently that I know nothing about, and I'd like to find out some more about it if possible. It seems to be a pretty rare bottle. Anyone know how hard to find it is? It's a BIM crown top soda embossed "Bryan's Springs / Carbonating / Works / Youngs Island RR, SC" in a circle slug plate. It also has This Bottle Not To Be Sold on the back heel. The bottle is a beautiful amethyst color. Just from the little bit of info I've found online about Youngs Island, it appears that the town name is misspelled on the bottle and that it is actually supposed to be spelled Yonges Island. It sounds like Yonges Island is part of the small town of Meggett, SC, which is located near Charleston. Does anyone know what the RR stands for? The only thing that comes to mind is railroad. Do we have any SC collectors on here or people who know anything at all about this bottle? Thanks for any info!
IMG_2856.jpgIMG_2839.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2863.jpgIMG_2865.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2868.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ACL

I took a quick look around and found these ...

Note: I'm confident the RR stands for Railroad and refers to the Atlantic Coast Line that terminated at Yonges Island

http://townofmeggettsc.org/about-meggett/meggett-history/

In the early 1900s, Meggett was a thriving little town. Its economy was mainly based on the farming industry surrounding it. A spur of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad ran through Meggett and terminated at a large wharf on Yonges Island near the Atlantic. Farmers shipped produce by water and by rail.

WorthPoint - Bryan's Springs bottle - Correct spelling "Yonges" with an 'e'

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/soda-bottle-bryans-springs-yonges-421290876

(Sellers copy/pasted description)

Extremely rare small town soda water bottle...damaged top...perfect donor top included, should you decide to have it repaired. "Bryan's Springs Carbonating Works Yonges Island R.R.,S.C." in slug plate. (near Charleston,SC)

"This Bottle Not To Be Sold" on the back.

Other than the chipped crown top, this is a pretty good bottle.

We have only found one of these rare bottles undamaged in 25 years of searching.

You are dealing with honest sellers and the actual diggers of our relics.

All were found in South Carolina on private lands with permission.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

ACLbottles

I think its an interesting coincidence that your name and the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) are the same!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ACL

P.S. - P.S.

Because the WorthPoint seller said this ...

"We have only found one of these rare bottles undamaged in 25 years of searching."

... your bottle with the incorrect spelling might be rarer than theirs that has the correct spelling.

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Thank you for your input Bob! I actually had found that Worthpoint listing and I was curious to see what it sold for with the damage. Makes me want to get an account! Thanks again!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My WorthPoint subscription has expired ($20.00 per month) but the next time I reactivate it I will check the sold for price for the Bryan's Springs bottle.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ACL

Talk about small towns ...

I just saw a reference that said the population for Yonges Island, S.C. in 1914 was only about 50 people.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I discovered a couple of things that I hope to find more about later ...

1. The proprietor's full name was George F Bryan
2. He operated a general store and bottling facility in Yonges Island
3. I have seen listings for the company between 1911 and 1920
4. George F Bryan patented a boat propeller mechanism in 1903 and was located in Yonges Island at the time

(More Later)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac