Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
By the way ...

I might have to change my name to "Nosodapopbob" because just yesterday I sold about 95% of my collection to one guy. I did okay, but still sad to see the bottles go after spending the better part of 40 years collecting them. However, it wasn't a total sellout because I kept about 50 of the best and most valuable bottles, which are primarily Big Chiefs and other western related themes!

Bob, I am a little sad to hear that. Why the parting of the collection? If it's ok to ask? I know we can't keep em forever. They are like an investment of sorts. (there is a nice 'bryan nimms 7up on ebay right now.)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

I don't mind your asking at all. And yes, they are like investments, which is one of the reasons I sold them. I'm 64 years old, retired, and tired of having them boxed up. My three daughters, ages 31, 37, and 39, have absolutely no interest in them and wouldn't want to mess with selling them even thought I had compiled a detailed list with current values. My daughters were the ones that advised me to let'em go because they would probably just give them to the first person who came along who expressed an interest in them no matter what the value. I suppose I could have sold them on eBay but just don't have the inclination to deal with that. Besides, I'm really more into researching soda bottles these days than I am in collecting more and more of them that just end up in boxes. Now I can focus on my "Big Chief" and other Cowboy/Indian ACL bottles that I have about 50 nice examples of. By the way, I also collect souvenir "Tomahawks" from the 1950s and 1960s and will be adding to that collection as well. I just got one tomahawk recently that's still in its original packaging with an original paper label from the 1950s. Examples with original packages are almost impossible to find. So, as you can see, I'm still a collector of sorts, but just not of every soda bottle I find like I used to back in the day when I kept almost everything I found. I sold about 400 bottles and some other collectibles, and made a pretty good chunk of change in the process!

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

In case you're interested, here's the souvenir Tomahawk in its original package that I was talking about. Notice it was made in Japan and originally cost 10-cents. This will give you some idea of what I look for and collect. I currently have about 30 examples that are from all parts of the country (some have locations printed on them) but I prefer the ones from the western part of the U.S. such as Arizona and New Mexico. They are hard to date!

My oldest example is from the Grand Canyon and probably dates between about 1900 and 1908. It is hand made by Native Americans and was probably sold to tourist who used to visit the canyon before it became a National Monument in 1908 and a National Park in 1919.

100_4762.jpg

100_4763.jpg

Photon440

Reaction score
That's an interesting item to collect. The Japanese version looks like a bamboo handle, historically accurate no doubt. :)

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx for sharin Bob. Those Tomahawk's are pretty cool. And thanx for all the help in researching bottles we bring up here.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Good News!

I heard from a member of the Tyler family and I sent him some pictures. I'll let you know what he has to say when I hear back from him.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I heard from the Tyler family member and he said he did not have any information at his fingertips right at the moment but that he would look into it and get back to me. He also sent me a contact for the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco, Texas and suggested I contact them as well, which I have already done and hope to hear from them soon.

(Stay Tuned)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I heard from the Tyler family member again but it appears he is giving me the brushoff and not interested in digging into their archives for more details. Basically, he passed me off to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco, Texas and that appears to be all the help I'm going to get from him. There is no question that I have the right Tyler family because the following is who I contacted in Tyler, Texas ...

Note: As far as I know, the town name and the family name is just a coincidence.

https://tylerbeverages.com/pages/about-us

1. Kenneth A Tyler was the son of Henry F Tyler of Villisca, Iowa
2. Kenneth was born in 1927 and died in 1996
3. The (Villisca, Iowa) Tyler's bought the bottling plant in Tyler, Texas in 1953-54

However ...

There are still two more inquires I'm waiting to hear from. Hopefully one or both of them will have some information ...

1. Atlantic Coca Cola Bottling - Atlantic, Iowa - Still operated by the original Tyler Brothers
descendants.

2. Dr Pepper Museum - Waco, Texas

1953 Newspaper

7up Tyler Brothers 1953.jpg

Kenneth A. Tyler - From link

Tyler Kenneth A Born 1927 Died 1996.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I still haven't heard from anyone, and starting to think I never will. But if I do, I'll be sure to share what they have to say.

In the meantime, I want to revisit a newspaper article I posted a portion of earlier, but this time I'd like to emphasize a couple of things. The article is from ...

The Des Moines Register ~ Des Moines, Iowa ~ November 11, 1962

[ Cropped into sections for easier reading - Sequential top-to-bottom ]

Tyler Brothers The Des Moines Register Iowa Nov 11, 1962 (2).jpg

Tyler Brothers The Des Moines Register Iowa Nov 11, 1962 (6).jpg

Tyler Brothers The Des Moines Register Iowa Nov 11, 1962 (3).jpg

Tyler Brothers The Des Moines Register Iowa Nov 11, 1962 (4).jpg

Tyler Brothers The Des Moines Register Iowa Nov 11, 1962 (5).jpg

And here's the part I want to emphasize. Notice where it says ...

"Howdy" was added to the Tyler brothers line in the late 1920s."

If the Tyler Brothers added "Howdy" to their line in the late 1920s, then it stands to reason they were on the ground floor for the introduction of 7up from day one, which in itself was probably in the late 1920s, or the very-very early 1930s at the latest. With that said, if I can confirm that my paper label bottle is indeed a Tyler Brothers bottle, then its possible that it's even earlier than I originally thought. As far as the "Slenderizing Lady" trademark date is concerned, I know that most references say 1931, but I need to do some additional research and see if I can find additional confirmation on that, or if it was possibly used any earlier than 1931. But whatever that official date might be, I'm still hoping ...

1. That my bottle is indeed a "Tyler Brothers" bottle.
2. That my bottle eventually dates to 1931 or earlier.

Tyler Brothers Article Des Moines Iowa 1962.jpg

(I'll be back)(Especially if I hear from someone)

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I have pretty much given up hope of receiving any replies from my inquires - I guess they are just too busy or possibly not interested. But that's okay because there are certain aspects about the paper label on my bottle that speak for themselves. At this juncture, which involved an exhaustive search, the following aspects are the only known examples I am currently aware of that exist on a 7up paper label from any time period ...

1. The wording ... "Drink After Eating - Before Retiring - On Arising"

7up Tyler.jpg

2. The underlined 7up

7up Tyler Reg U.S. Pat Off. (2).jpg

3. The name "Tyler"

7up Tyler Reg U.S. Pat Off. (4).jpg

4. What I call the "Bubble-Arm" Slenderizing Lady (With a bubble that dissects her right arm)

7up Tyler Bottle Slenderizing Lady Bubble Arm.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264