Grocery store beer bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carling

Reaction score
The store probably didn't brew their own beer, I believe the grocer purchased the beer from a local brewer and had the beer bottled for them in their grocer marked bottles.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Probably so, I assumed that or something similar. Wonder who's beer was in there since 20 breweries nearby at that time. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Grocery store whiskey

Leon, I hope you don't mind, man. I debated on whether or not to post this here but while risking being branded a hijacker, personally I like to consolidate posts of like items into one thread, so folks don't have to hop all over the place to see things. Sorta like when someone finds six bottles in a trash pile and posts a different thread for each bottle (one for the Vaseline, one for the Sauer's, one for the Bromo...).

Anyway, I finally snagged this bottle after following it through four collections for probably 25 years. As far as I know, it's the only intact example out there with one other missing the neck. Mr. Price is listed in the 1869 Macon City Directory. I had figured that it probably dated around 1870. Applied top and smooth base (can't have it all).

price1.JPGprice.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
I don't mind, That's a cool bottle, sez Grocer's right on it, wish mine did. Mine shows up in 1870's Detroit Directories as a Grocer. Wonder how many of mine exist. It could be the only one or could be 20 of them & I don't think anybody knows? LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94