Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

Orangine Schmidt and Company Woodland Daily Democrat Calif June 5, 1890.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In search of ...

Any Schmidt & Company bottle, paper label, sign, etc.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another one of those Schmidt & Company trade cards with "Orangine" stamped on the back. I haven't been able to accurately date these cards, but suspect they are circa 1889 because of the word "New" used in connection with Orangine.

Schmidt and Company Trade Card San Francisco circa 1900.jpg

Note: Where I titled this image circa 1900 is a typo and should be circa 1889

Schmidt and Company Trade Card San Francisco circa 1900 Back.jpg

Which raises the question ...

Was the Schmidt & Company Orangine and the Barq Brothers Orangine the same beverage or was it just a coincidence that both companies happened to use the same name at about the same time?

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Because "Orangine" is stamped on the back of the trade cards and not the front along with "Sarsaparilla" and "Iron Water" this leads me to suspect that the trade cards themselves were originally used prior to when "Orangine" was first introduced. In other words, the trade cards could date as early as 1886 when the Schmidt & Company was established and then stamped with "Orangine" when it was introduced around 1889.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Next Question ...

Schmidt & Company was established in 1886!

Q: But how long did they remain in operation?

A: I'm not sure but trying to find out!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm still searching for the latest reference for the Schmidt & Company and along the way found this ...

Its a patent listing for a brand of beverage called "Kickapoo Springs Mineral Water"

From 1888

Schmidt and Company Kickapoo Springs Mineral Water 1888 Patent (2).jpg

Note: I realize all of this Schmidt & Company stuff might seem off topic, but because there was so much hoopla about the Barq's "Orangine" winning a gold medal and apparently being their flagship beverage that got Barq's going, I'm just trying to figure out which company actually developed "Orangine" first. I'm also trying to figure out if the two brands were the same beverage or different. As it stands now I'm really not sure!

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

Which came first ...

1. The chicken or the egg?

2. Schmidt & Company Orangine or Barq Brothers Orangine?

Well, I'm starting to think the Barq Brothers were up to some shenanigans when they advertised Orangine as their own brand and served it at the 1893 Chicago Exposition where they won a gold medal.

The reason I say this is because ...

Schmidt & Company - Stockton, California

... had filed for a Trademark for a beverage called Orangine in ...

Check it out!

http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/items/show/1588

View attachment 172125

View attachment 172126

Perhaps this explains why the Barq Brothers Orangine faded into the sunset around 1895?

If in fact Barq Brothers Bottling was established in 1890 as every reference indicates, then it seems apparent that Schmidt & Company's 1888 Orangine Trademark preceded anything the Barq Brothers ever produced. Okay, fine! But how do we explain the Barq Brothers coming up with a beverage by the same name that won a gold medal at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu