Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As this next article will confirm, and others I have seen similar to it, the actual address mentioned in the previous two articles was ...

2300 Laharpe Street (Which was at the 'corner' of Tonti Street)

This article is about the younger brother's, Jules Barq, funeral following his suicide. Jules committed suicide on December 12th and was buried on December 14th. And even though the previous article about the liquidation was from February of 1896, this article is from December of 1896. Which means the Barq's apparently still owned the property on Laharpe Street even though they liquidated the business.

(The main reason I'm posting this article is to establish the 2300 aspect of Laharpe Street)

Barq Jules Funeral December 14, 1896.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's 2300 Larharpe Street from Google Earth ...

Barq and Hughes Barq Bros 2300 Laharpe Street New Orleans Louisiana.jpg

Even though barely visible in this picture, 2300 can be seen just above what appears to be a basement or ground floor entrance. The entire building itself is quite large and I'm not sure if it's a single residence or a bunch of apartments. But whatever the case, the 2300 part of it appears to be separate. I do not know if the Barq's owned and used the entire building or just part of it. Its in a residential area and seems a strange place for a bottling plant and/or cordial factory.

Barq and Hughes Barq Bros 2300 Laharpe Street New Orleans Louisiana (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And then for some reason the Barq's moved to Biloxi, Mississippi in 1897-98

Note: I'm not sure what the reason(s) were, but perhaps it had something to do with ...

1. The Liquidation in New Orleans
2. Jules Barq's death
3. Both of the above
4. Other?

Keller Avenue - Biloxi, Mississippi

(In a residential area just a few blocks from the beach)

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue Aerial.jpg

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue (2).jpg

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue (3).jpg

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue (4).jpg

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue.jpg

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
So, was Barq's first bottled in New Orleans? You've come up with some great information Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass

Thanks

Barq's Root Beer was first produced and bottled in Biloxi, Mississippi!

Here's the rest of the story ... (In brief)

The Barq's story begins in about 1890, when Edward Charles Edmond Barq Sr. created Barq Brothers Bottling Co. in the French Quarter of new Orleans, Louisiana. Barq stopped operating the company in 1897 and moved to Biloxi, Mississippi, where he founded the Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works in 1899. By 1901-02, he was selling a sarsaparilla-based drink called Barq's in Biloxi. The first franchise came in 1934 with a Mobile, Alabama firm.

At some point in the early 1900s, Barq fathered a child, Jasper "Jesse" Louis Robinson, out of wedlock. Robinson lived with the Barq family.

Robinson, at the urging of Barq, created and operated a Barq's production facility in New Orleans. In 1934, Barq gave Robinson the right to use the Barq's formula and name to sell root beer in all of Louisiana, excluding Washington Parish, while Barq maintained the exclusive rights to operate in Mississippi.

The operations were so separate that each had its own formula for Barq's root beer.

In 1936, Barq dissolved Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works and created Barq's Inc. to operate the Mississippi Barq's enterprise. Ten years later, after Barq died, Robinson formed Barq's Beverages Inc. to oversee the Louisiana territories.

Note: So it was Jesse Robinson who first "bottled" Barq's Root Beer in Louisiana in 1934. However, I'm sure it was sold in Louisiana much earlier than that. I'm currently searching to see if I can determine who the first franchisee was in Mobile, Alabama.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass

I'm still searching for the first Barq's franchisee in Mobile, Alabama, but one candidate might be ...

Bellingrath Coca Cola Bottling ... (Needs Verification)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another candidate ... (Needs Verification)

Russ Beverage Co. - Mobile, Alabama

Barq's Russ Beverages Mobile Alabama Possible 1935 Root Beer.jpg

Barq's Russ Beverages Mobile Alabama Possible 1935.jpg

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing things up for me Bob. Such great information. I'm thankful for all of your research.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown