Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works building as it appeared in 1981. In was in 1981 that an application was filed to designate it a historic Biloxi, Mississippi landmark. The application was approved in 1983. Prior to 1981 the building was pretty much abandoned and boarded up and used for storage. When the 1981 application was filed the building was owned by Mrs. Edward C. Barq III. I'm not certain who owns it today, but it could still be owned by a member of the Barq family.

Notice ...

1. There is no writing on the building.

2. The double doors in front but no steps.
If it had steps they could have been removed - or else it was a loading dock.

3. The windows are boarded up.

4. No historic sign.

Barq's Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works Building 1981 (3).jpg

Barq Biloxi Mississippi Keller Avenue.jpg

Historical Sign

Look close at the bottom where it says ...

"Mississippi Department of Archives and History 1983"

Barq's Sign Biloxi Missippi (2).jpg

Barq's Sign Biloxi Missippi.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the 'souvenir' version I created for Barq collectors ...

Note: This is the earliest picture of the building that I'm aware of.

Barq's Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works Building 1981 (3).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This bottle is described as possibly being the one that preceded the 1935 patent version and apparently is extremely rare. Date unknown but possibly early 1930s. It most likely had a paper label - that I am currently looking for ...

Barq's Bottle Described as First Pre 1935.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Almost every account I've seen states that the Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works moved from Keller Avenue and relocated to 604 Lameuse Street, Biloxi, Mississipi in 1936 and at the same time changed the company name to Barq's Incorporated. Here's what is supposed to be the official registration, which indicates the move and name change was complete by October 26, 1936

Name: BARQ'S INCORPORATED

File ID: 108379

Business ID: 436128

Name Type: Legal

Creation Date: 10/26/1936

Registered Agent: WILLIAM A BARQ - 604 LAMEUSE ST, BILOXI, MS

Officers and Directors: E BARQ SR - ELODIE BARQ

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This Orangine bottle was described as being from Mobile, Alabama - but it did not mention a date or bottler. However, its possible that it came from Russ Beverages. These Orangine acl bottles are supposed to have the words 'Gold Medal' on them, but I can't make out all of the wording near the bottom where the words 'Gold Medal' might be. Perhaps someone else can make out the words better than I can, even though I've tried everything I can think of. The third word might be 'Medal' but I'm not certain. I wish I could find a larger picture of one of these bottles.

This particular example appears to be a 6 or 7 ounce bottle ...

Orangine Bottle ACL (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I think at some point the father and son split up and the son went to New Orleans and began his own bottling operation. One was using a blue label and the other used a red label.

Bass

I'm currently trying to figure out the truth about the Blue vs. Red acl bottles, with several references having this to say about it ...

Copy/Pasted

In 1934 Edward Barq, Sr. and Jesse Robinson signed a contractual agreement on Barq's product rights. The agreement was unique from other franchises in many aspects. One, that Robinson was allowed to make his own concentrate. The two men remained close their entire lives, working on flavors and production challenges. A distinctive difference between the Biloxi-based root beer and the Louisiana's was that the Louisiana bottle was printed in red (versus Biloxi's blue). This was to distinguish ownership of bottles as blue labeled ones were returned to Mississippi and vice-versa. There were also regional taste differences between the various Barq's bottlers. While there may have been minor formula differences, water generally defined these differences.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

To remember which was which, I think of them as ...

Biloxi Blues

Louisiana Reds

... and will be searching for examples to see if this proves consistent.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm also trying to figure out and date this bottle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Antiqu...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Notice ...

1. Its marked with Biloxi, Mississippi
2. Its marked with what appears to be a LGW for Laurens Glass Works
3. Its marked with Trade Mark Applied For
4. Its marked with Barq's Root Beer Company

Main Questions ...

A. When was it made?
B. Why does it say Trade Mark Applied For?
C. When was the name Barq's Root Beer Company established/used?

Note: Barq's first patented bottle was in 1935. So exactly what aspect of this acl bottle was being "applied for" as a trademark?

Barq's ACL Biloxi LGW Date Unknown.jpg

Barq's ACL Biloxi LGW Date Unknown with Trade Mark Applied For (2).jpg

Barq's ACL Biloxi LGW Date Unknown with Trade Mark Applied For.jpg

Barq's ACL Biloxi LGW Date Unknown with Barq's Root Beer Co..jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminders ...

1. The name "Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works" was changed to "Barq's Incorporated" when they relocated to Lameuse Street in 1936

2. "Barq's Beverages" was the name that Jesse Robinson used in Louisiana

Question ...

So why does the mystery ACL have "Barq's Beverages" on the label but "Biloxi, Mississippi" on the base?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Perhaps part of the answer can be found among the legal jargon from this 1987 court case ...

Barq's Inc., a Mississippi corporation, (hereinafter Barq's Biloxi) a manufacturer and seller of soft drinks which does business among the several states except in Louisiana, filed a trademark infringement suit against Barq's Beverages, Inc. (hereinafter Barq's New Orleans) and Barq's Beverages of Baton Rouge (hereinafter Barq's Baton Rouge) also manufacturers and sellers of soft drinks (jointly referred to as Barq's Louisiana) who do business only in a limited area within the State of Louisiana.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19871126677FSupp449_11035/BARQ'S INC. v. BARQ'S BEVERAGES, INC.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu