found some bottles in a cottage dump by a lake

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
went back to this dump , the bugs oddly didn't seem to be much on an issue there , we've had some colder weather this week maybe that reduced them ?

didn't find anything of much value , some diet coke and a & w cans were found in another area not part of old dump , also dug up a rusty cone top can for unknown beverage or use ?

some tonic bottles , a broken pierce from buffalo NY , Raleigh's and a gastoria . and a D B Gordon bottle .

some broken pop bottles , part of a green no deposit bottle for like diet maybe ? broken Canada dry 7 oz bottle , broken us coca cola bottle Rochester NY , broken brown's beverage bottle

P5170002.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
a better picture of the D B Gordon bottle , don't know what it was for , haven't found one before , D in a diamond on bottom meaning its Canadian dominion bottle

the base of the Rochester NY coca cola bottle

can is so rusty not even sure what its for ? assuming pop or beer but who knows

P5170003.jpgP5170006.jpgP5170012.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
For some reason that cone top looks like a Dads Root Beer. If you really wanta know, send it to me & I'll clean it for Free. You pay shipping both ways. Here's a example ofBlatzuncleaned.JPGBlatzcleaned.JPG a rusty cone I just cleaned the other day. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That cone top is a great find! I still haven't found a cone top, not including one which turned out to be an antifreeze can. I believe yours is one of these: http://www.canmuseum.com/Detail.aspx?CanID=61331&Member= An Old Colony Pale Dry Ginger Ale. Pretty decent Canadian can. Too bad it isn't one of those Brio cone tops we were talking about in another thread, but still a pretty good find and definitely worth cleaning up. If you don't want to send it to Hemihampton, what I usually do with cans like that is soak them in lemon juice. It doesn't get results as good as Hemihampton does, but it's also a lot easier and safer than oxalic acid. If I thought it was something better I wouldn't recommend lemon juice, but in that condition that can isn't going to be worth a fortune (though Hemihampton might be able to clean it up to the point of being worth 20 dollars or so).

RCO

Reaction score
wow I think your right that it is an old colony ginger ale can , was looking at the small green wording I can see on the can and it matches up exactly to that old colony can . I also found a broken old colony bottle in that dump so someone there liked old colony so it makes sense that its such .
really have no idea what Canadian cone top can's are going for $ or how much of this can is recoverable at this point but is an interesting find , I really don't recall finding a cone top can before either but have dug up older dumps before when I was younger and might of just not remembered finding one or over looked it at time

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Canadian cone tops in really good condition seem to sell in the range of $50-$2000, from what I've seen on Ebay, with most in the $70-$300 range. An Old Colony in pretty decent condition recently sold for around $70. Your can is very recoverable, if some of the paint is showing through the rust then that means that it'll clean up to the point of the label being fully visible. I've cleaned up far worse using only lemon juice. I actually haven't yet encountered a can which was completely unrecoverable, apart from the ones with big gaping holes in them.
Canadian cone tops aren't that common, I've probably only seen a handful in person before. They'd been phased out by the early 60's so most have rotted away by this point, I suppose.

hemihampton

Reaction score
looking at the light rust I think it would be a good Canidate for a Acid Bath. Here's one that was 100% rust & 100% unreadable. I only soak half the can & Ends up it was a IGA Lemon Lime Soda. LEON.halfandhalfcan.jpg

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi sorry I been so busy this is my first day off in over a month but I still am always looking

RCO

Reaction score
haven't really decided what to do with the cans , was the long weekend here and very busy , also not sure what shipping would cost

hemihampton

Reaction score
RCO Sent me the cans to clean & here are the results. Since the rust was much heavier in spots then expected with big Nodules the cone did not clean up as good as expected or was hoping for. Still much better & readable. I could of left them in longer to clean better but then you would lose to much color as the colors fade the longer it's in. LEON.3CanadianDumpersdirty.jpg3CanadianDumpersCleaned.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18