Capital Soft Drink bottle Hull Quebec ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was searching thru ebay and came across an interesting acl from Hull Quebec ( city across river from Ottawa if your not familiar with area ) I've seen a lot of Ottawa area bottles before but haven't seen this one yet , anyone seen them before or know more about the company and bottle ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-ACL-CAPITAL-HULL-QUE-CANADA-soda-pop-bottle-/261719878080?hash=item3cefb869c0:g:U7QAAOSwc0FUpVFu

the one on ebay isn't in especially good condition as you can see from pictures , the guy still wants $20 for it , not sure what one in better condition would be worth . I'd assume its from 50's era by looks of bottle ( its not listed in my book as its technically from quebec not Ontario even though its a border city ) . the acl shows a part image of the parliament buildings which fits into to it being from Ottawa area

capitalsoftdrinkHULL.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I also found a picture of a group of 4 capital bottles on a French bottle site , is 2 green bottles and 2 clear , 7 oz and 30 oz . these ones are in much better condition , I notice the green bottles say capital dry , where is clear 7 oz just says capital .

capitalsoftdrinkHULL1.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
I know nothing about those bottles, I do have 3 Capital bottles but they are from Edmonton, Alberta. Seems hard to near impossible to get any info on Canadian bottles here on this site?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I know of the bottles, since they're local to me, but I don't have any. I think I've seen a clear quart for sale once, but it was too expensive for me. I don't remember how much they were selling it for, my budget is quite small so it doesn't have to cost that much to be too expensive for me. I'd like to get my hands on one of those since in my opinion it's the nicest ACL from the National Capital Region (that I know of) but they seem fairly hard to find. I've never seen so much of a shard of one in the wild, which is really quite strange.

Yeah it's hard to get info on Canadian bottles here, probably because us three are the only Canadians regularly on here. Also Canadian bottles in general seem to be not documented as well as the American ones are. It's too bad there isn't a Canadian bottle forum. The only one we have is the Quebec forum and that one doesn't see much activity. I would post there more if my French was better.

RCO

Reaction score
I know nothing about those bottles, I do have 3 Capital bottles but they are from Edmonton, Alberta. Seems hard to near impossible to get any info on Canadian bottles here on this site?

I have seen the capital Edmonton bottle before , think there might be one on ebay .

there is still a lot of info on Canadian bottles here but is a few areas without any members , like Manitoba , newfoundland / new Brunswick as examples of places we don't see many bottles from

RCO

Reaction score
I know of the bottles, since they're local to me, but I don't have any. I think I've seen a clear quart for sale once, but it was too expensive for me. I don't remember how much they were selling it for, my budget is quite small so it doesn't have to cost that much to be too expensive for me. I'd like to get my hands on one of those since in my opinion it's the nicest ACL from the National Capital Region (that I know of) but they seem fairly hard to find. I've never seen so much of a shard of one in the wild, which is really quite strange.

Yeah it's hard to get info on Canadian bottles here, probably because us three are the only Canadians regularly on here. Also Canadian bottles in general seem to be not documented as well as the American ones are. It's too bad there isn't a Canadian bottle forum. The only one we have is the Quebec forum and that one doesn't see much activity. I would post there more if my French was better.

I hadn't really seen this bottle before , been to a number of antique stores in eastern Ontario at one point or another and don't recall seeing one for sale , there wasn't really many eastern Ontario or Ottawa bottles at the Toronto bottle show last 2 years either

so do get the feeling this is a fairly hard bottle to find , too bad the one for sale isn't in great condition making it less desirable even though its hard to find

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've never seen one in an antique store either. If I did see one it was at one of the Ottawa shows, either the bottle show or the collectibles show. Eastern Ontario bottles seem hard to find in general. Even the Ottawa show had more bottles from other places than from Eastern Ontario. I'm thinking one of the reasons is that the main Ottawa dump was never really dug and is currently sitting underneath a highway interchange.

RCO

Reaction score
I've never seen one in an antique store either. If I did see one it was at one of the Ottawa shows, either the bottle show or the collectibles show. Eastern Ontario bottles seem hard to find in general. Even the Ottawa show had more bottles from other places than from Eastern Ontario. I'm thinking one of the reasons is that the main Ottawa dump was never really dug and is currently sitting underneath a highway interchange.

under a highway interchange ? that doesn't sound good , although if they ever repair the highway they might find some bottles

I did pick up one Ottawa bottle at the Toronto show I never posted it yet , a huckels Ottawa soda water bottle , the guy didn't want much for it so figured why not , I don't know much about it but think its from just before ww1 according to book

huckelsOttawa1.jpg

I haven't really seen a lot of antique stores in Ottawa or area with bottles , I know when I was there a couple years ago the ones on bank street had hardly any , there is stores in smith falls and almonte with more bottles
also discovered an antique store on a back street in eganville I had never seen before that had some bottles , found an old Pembroke bottle there , oddly never seen the store before as its on such an odd street away from main highway . there was also a store in downtown Pembroke now closed I think that had a second store in deep river still open I believe that had bottles but never made it up that far

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't know if we'll ever get to dig that one, they recently put in a new lane and I know one of the construction workers, who picked a bottle there up for me. He said that they had to follow lots of strict regulations because the ground is so polluted. So I don't expect them to ever let diggers in, even if the completely remove the interchange someday. Montreal has a similar problem. There's a massive dump near the waterfront but completely covered up by interchanges and rail yards.

Oh I'm not familiar with that Huckels. I've got one of the ABM ones which doesn't have a flag, but never seen that one. Last show I found a very similar Ottawa bottle (they were all the same shape in that era for some reason) that I hadn't heard of before, which reads "THE PROPERTY OF J. BUTLER OTTAWA." Is that one listed in the book? I can't find any information online.

Those Bank Street stores really aren't much good for bottles, even the Ottawa Antique Market has never had anything when I went. The only two stores that you can find bottles at in Ottawa are way out in the suburbs.

RCO

Reaction score
it doesn't sound very likely they'll be any digging there then .

the james butler is listed as 1912-13 , I don't really know anything more about it or what became of his company after that date

the one store on bank street was more furniture and repurposed older stuff , the Ottawa antique market hardly had any bottles for its size . there is a store in Almonte that has a lot of bottles and one in smith falls too but a lot of volume there but not a lot of quality , remember they had 100's if not more lying outside in boxes and shelves they had built but nothing really good.

I haven't seen a lot of Ottawa bottles on this side of Ontario , is a few large antique malls around Toronto area , one in Pickering and barrie , and few others around , wouldn't see many bottles from Ottawa though and more than likely common one if you did . once a couple years ago got 2 older Ottawa bottles from a seller on Kiijii when I was there picking up another bottle

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi