Coin collector turns to bottles. My story (Also looking for New Brunswick/Maine info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
did some searching around the internet trying to find anything about New Brunswick bottles as you got me curious about them , wasn't sure if you had seen any of these before or familiar with them

Sussex Beverages NB , seems to be a more common one have seen it a few times before

Gorham beverages , Fredericton NB , hadn't heard of them before

sussexNB.jpgsussexNB1.jpggorhambeveragesNB.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
couple others I saw

Morris beverages , Dartmouth NS , hadn't heard of them before

james ready brewery - saint john NB

Restigouche beverages Campbellton NB - seems to be a couple different bottles , hadn't heard of them before

morrisdartmouthNS.jpgJames-Ready-Antique-Bottles.jpgrestigouchebeverages.jpgrestigouchebeverages1.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
also forgot to mention I have one new Brunswick bottle - Tennant Beverages ltd Moncton NB , got it a couple years ago at an antique store , never really able to find out anything about it , likely from 1960's era , the Woodstock bottle I saw was exactly the same bottle but a red and white logo and from a different company , wasn't able to find a pic online yet
P5050002.jpgP5050003.jpg

Harmonica

Reaction score
Sussex is a big Ginger Ale town. I am sure I have seen many a different varieties of their bottle in the woods, in barns etc.
Sussex also holds the largest east cost flea market ever year so I plan to go down on the hunt for coins and bottles.

Restigouche, a name like that screams Campbellton. I never heard of the though, same goes for Gorham and James Ready.

In the end of May I am going to a Saint John coin show. Coin shows (especial in the Maritimes) are become more general shows. I would not be surprised if a bottle guy was set up.

That first Sussex bottle has a label painted right on it, an A(pplied)C(olour)L(abel).

That Gorham looks like it has a label glued to it like a beer bottle. I imagine those often peel off. What term is given to glued on labels?

I know the Tennat is an embossed.

Thank you for the pictures, nice to see what I will be hunting for.

RCO

Reaction score
also found 2 more

another version of the Restigouche beverages a larger 10 oz bottle on ebay

and saw an Old homestead bottle on ebay from St Stephens NB , never seen it before

restigouchebeverages2.jpgoldhomesteadststephensNB.jpg

Harmonica

Reaction score
Teal star with 100 percent positive rating. No returns. He seems like the up and up.

I just do not know. It is the CAD10 shipping that is killer. WHat I wonder is will locals play up local history and want more for these pieces and I am better off buying them in Ontario or would I find an old man that has some stached away that would sell them for 5 bucks a pop.

I want to dig out some old cola and javax bottles and bring them to my flea market table. I will let it be known I am looking for bottles and see what I can get locally. Thank you for the heads up though. I will keep an eye on eBay and other venues to try to form a price guide.

Do you know the name of that book on Nova Scotian bottling?

Here is a link to the PDF on NB Ginger Beers.
http://www.canadianbottlecollectors.com/ginger_beers_of_new_brunswick.pdf

RCO

Reaction score
the $10-$14 dollars shipping for a bottle is standard , at Canada post any parcel which is in a box or envelope weighing more than 500 grams , the minimum cost is around $12 to mail it and might cost a bit more to ship from Ontario to out east . I've mailed small books before and even those cost like $4.00 to ship

the nova scotia book is called " the bottle collector " has a light yellowish cover , not sure who author is , its from around 60's-70's though , was some pics in it of older nova scotia bottles though , some of which are likely fairly hard to find

the type of bottles I mostly collect if you see my posts in soda are mostly from 1920's-30's , when they were making so called art deco bottles or embossed bottles , I haven't really seen many from out east but more than likely some exist and just hard to find

RCO

Reaction score
there is also a couple of other older Canadian bottle books , couple I found a few years ago both are by Doris and peter Unitt and published in 1970's , one is an older price guide , out of date and not really that useful , is some older pictures of bottles in it .
the hardcover bottles in Canada book is a bit better , a lot of information in it and many pictures of older bottles from across Canada , some from the east coast , the books are fairly common so you might run into a copy at a used book store or flea market / yard sale

P5060001.jpg

I like your idea of asking around the flea market and getting to know the people there who might have bottles . one of the worst ideas I ever had for finding bottles was when I put an add up on kiijjii looking for bottles , I never bought one bottle cause of the add and some of the replies I got were just plain bizarre and people wanting way too much money or simply had junk , I have bought a few neat bottles off kiijji ads though and also had some sales fall thru for bottles I tried to buy

Harmonica

Reaction score
I have a book guy in Fredericton. He knows I like the old obscure collectible reference books so if something comes up I will find it.

I like your idea of asking around the flea market and getting to know the people there who might have bottles . one of the worst ideas I ever had for finding bottles was when I put an add up on kiijjii looking for bottles , I never bought one bottle cause of the add and some of the replies I got were just plain bizarre and people wanting way too much money or simply had junk , I have bought a few neat bottles off kiijji ads though and also had some sales fall thru for bottles I tried to buy

You mean my 2012 Santa coke bottle won't allow me to retire????!!!???!!
:p

I have some old bottles. I am colour blind but they look like either a red or a brown, I can't quite tell. Javax, Clorox etc. Different embozzed fonts, kind of neat. I am going to clean the gunk out of them and stick a fake flower in them for Mother's Day. I also have an old Sprite bottle. It is bilingual so Canadian.

Two old Pepsi Co bottles. Only difference is one says 13 B and one says 6 B, most be plant numbers. All the soft drinks are pry offs, not a twist.

I also have a Squibb bottle. It says Made in Canada which I like. It looks like flask or two coffins stuck together. It has a different tactile feel. I imagine that would mean it was a poison.

I wouldn't imagine these are rare or worth anything. CLeaned up with a fake flow would asking CAD5 be unreasonable? I will do some digging tonight now that I am back at my computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky