questions about dirt (dump and privy digging)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shmoo

Reaction score
So I was digging my first dump the other weekend and I kept noticing that the dirt would change color after I got about 6-10 inches deep. It would turn med-to-light brown, whereas the soil above it was dark. It seemed that the buried stuff was only in the top, dark layer.

Is that true? If I hit the light dirt, can I stop digging because there will be nothing buried deeper than that?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It depends. Generally, yes the light soil is the bottom of the dump. But it could also be where they dumped dirt to cover up the garbage underneath. Large dumps will usually have clay caps on top. But if it's a farm dump then it's quite likely just a surface dump.

sunrunner

Reaction score
dumps are different from place to place . for instants down here were I live . town dumps have a small layer of topsoil over them , then ash and trash , then heavy sand at the bottom . farm and house holed trash pits may be right on the surface with the topsoil . 6 to 10 inches isn't very deep , sounds like a surface dump.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
If you're in the country, then that's a sign you're at the bottom. If you near an old village or city, there's a chance it could be a cap. If the soil changes color immediately, then it's probably cap. If there is an area of gradual transition in the soil color, odds are that it's natural.

shmoo

Reaction score
Heh, on the one hand, the dump is in the country, on the other hand, it was a pretty immediate color change. Another thing to note is that I started hitting rocks in this lighter soil. No rocks in the darker top layer.

shmoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, MINN. I'm still a newbie to this... I've read that probes could be used to detect the wooden sides of outhouse pits, but how are they used in dumps? What I mean is, would I be feeling for it to hit a layer of solid rock or something?

Thanks!

sunrunner

Reaction score
it takes practice to use a probe . bottles , bricks and rocks sound deferent when you touch them. the trash layer in a dump will have a crunching sound and feel.

shmoo

Reaction score
Ok, so the probe i used to find the pieces of "stuff" underground. Got it.

So what's the best thing to use as a probe? Or does someone actually manufacture probes for this purpose?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp