found some interesting older shards on weekend

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was poking around an older lot on the weekend , had been there a few times over the years and found similar shards from older broken bottles . there doesn't really appear to be anything not broken in this location unless it was really small and some of the broken bottles are older than others , some you can tell used corks and were very old .
from pictures its hard to spot the colour differences but some aqua , light purple and light blue . most I couldn't really identify what they were from .

p.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
this bottle was easy to identify , apparently rather common but I haven't found one before .

RRR , Radway & co New York , act of congress on side

P5230006.jpgP5230011.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
this shard is very interesting and may have been able to identify what its from but not 100's sure yet as haven't seen any bottles from bottler I think it might be from yet

thick aqua shard that appears to be from a torpedo bottle or similar older soda water bottle .

can read on top - TO MI
second line - ER W
third line - 232 8 or & 2
bottom line - LAIDE

looking thru the book the only listing that would make sense for this combination of letters would be for Toronto Mineral Water Works , its said to have existed in 1870's
is a major street in Toronto called Adelaide street so assuming maybe they were located there

P5230004.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That ID certainly looks pretty likely. I'm surprised there isn't an example online considering how many Toronto bottles have been dug recently.

RCO

Reaction score
That ID certainly looks pretty likely. I'm surprised there isn't an example online considering how many Toronto bottles have been dug recently.

don't know what else it could be if you assume name involves Toronto / mineral or water works . is a lot of other bottlers in Ontario but the odds another has a name as close to one I think its from is less likely .
assuming it be a fairly hard to find bottle its not listed as having operated for very long but still think there'd be something out there on it

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah especially if it's a torpedo then it's probably a pretty good one, odd that there aren't any online. Was this from a dump? Somewhere in that dump the rest of the bottle ought to be, it'd be interesting to see if you could piece a bit of it together to get a better idea of what it was.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah especially if it's a torpedo then it's probably a pretty good one, odd that there aren't any online. Was this from a dump? Somewhere in that dump the rest of the bottle ought to be, it'd be interesting to see if you could piece a bit of it together to get a better idea of what it was.

there is a book on Toronto soda water bottles , I don't have a copy but maybe there is something in it about this bottler ?

its not really a dump , just a small lot near a lake , with a lot of history , had been an old hotel there and other uses over the years , its long since torn down . top part of lot used as parking lot , is a rocky / tree / plant covered area where I have been finding mostly broken bottles last couple years . i'll poke around the spot where I found this shard and see if I can find anything else .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu