Summer Camp Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jk666

Reaction score
The property that my house is built on was once owned by a girls summer camp. It opened in 1922 and as far as I can tell operated into the late 40s or early 50s. The land was later sold to a developer and a dozen houses were built in the late 60s. While walking my dog in the woods around the main camp building (still standing) I noticed bottles on the ground. I poked around and found a 1945 Pepsi bottle. Once I started digging I found a lot of kitchen and infirmary related bottles, typical items for a summer camp. I also found a lot of arts and crafts type material (paint, ink, glue bottles) and even a few clay sculptures. I researched the land, owner and camp and found a book on the owner as well as pictures from the camp in the 20s. I can post if anyone is interested. Attached is a sampling of the brown bottles I found. The largest is a Weston's whiskey bottle from the 1920s found elsewhere.
bottles.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I live in a seasonal area as well , there was a lot of summer camps around here . I've found dumps for such uses before , not sure there likely to contain anything that valuable but would depends on what bottles are desirable in your area . if there were any local acl pop bottles from time period that were hard to find and might be in dump.

jk666

Reaction score
I've found fragments of the local Kisco Cola, but no whole bottles...yet. The other dump I've been digging is behind a house that dates to 1900 with many 1920 and earlier bottles from local dairy farms. I'm not really looking for anything valuable. I just enjoy unearthing fragile items that are 75+ years old. Yesterday I found an intact lightbulb that was easily 80 years old.

RCO

Reaction score
milk jugs ? had you found any glass milk jugs ? was that what you dug up

keep posting what you find , there is people here who can answer questions about what you found and maybe someone closer to where you live ?

jk666

Reaction score
No milk jugs for me yet, a few pint or smaller bottles though.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Any old rusty dented beer cans. I collect those? LEON.

jk666

Reaction score
No beer cans, but some very rusty cans of paint. The cans rusted almost completely away leaving a pocket of bright paint. It took me a minute to figure out what I was looking at.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi