Picked up some flasks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Abegweit

Reaction score
While I've dug some nice basic flasks, I picked these flasks at a yard sale. The first clear one looks the part, old that is, while the second blue one to me must be a repo., but still a very attractive bottle. I have not had any luck finding information, I've come across similar blue repo. flasks, but not exactly like this one. The clear / flint-like one has me completely stumped. Anyone that could provide some feedback, age, origin, etc. would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 100

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
The images are too fuzzy to discern much about the flasks. The form of the colorless bottles reminds me of European flasks.

RJ2

Reaction score
I think the clear one is pretty cool. That's all I know of it.

The blue flask is a reproduction Albany Glass-works bottle.
And a damn good one at that. I consider these flasks very easy to distinguish now, even with eyes closed, now that I know the secret.
But at one time, was freaked out by one.
The thing had a pontil, though something looked wrong, the glass looked right, except for color - slightly.
But still, color cannot eliminate that flask because it does comes in cobalt and the real deal is valued in the 5 digits.

So, after some research: (#3 is a sure bet, and will easily distinguish original from repop)

ALBANY GLASS WORKS / {Bust of Washington} / ALBANY, NY / {Clipper Ship}
Very close to the original GI-28 flask, even the glass and lip are crude. But what distinguishes the original from repro is:

1) original has true pontil mark and repro has smooth circular indentation,

2) original is light (typical of old blown glass) and repro is heavier than a normal piece of this size, and

3) original has embossing in serif (i.e. there are serifs on edges of letters) while repro has embossing in sans serif (i.e. without the serifs on ends of letters).

Reference: http://www.antiquebottles.com/repro/

sunrunner

Reaction score
is it a prince of Joko bottle on the left ?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum