Bottle Fogs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FLORIDAWRITER

Reaction score
I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance...

I've got a collection of old bottles, etc. and one clear glass bottle looks great after a light washing with Dawn detergent. Then it fogs up. Am I doing something wrong? I figure I am but just don't know what.

Thanks so much!
Ann

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hi, Ann . . .
The glass surface is etched --'sick' in collectors parlance. The components of the glass have started to break down under attack from (probably) humic acids during burial. (River bottles are a different story.) The 'fog' is actually light being reflected from the micro-pits in the glass surface. You cannot restore the glass short of tumble-polishing it with abrasives. You may mask the sickness with mineral oil or you can try acrylic floor wax.

FLORIDAWRITER

Reaction score
Harry, many thanks for that explanation & hello to another Floridian! It's disappointing news. But I may just keep it for myself - it's a quart-sized Florida Store Bottle with an outline of the state on it.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Try soaking in straight white vinegar , sometimes it's ground haze and not a chemical etching of the glass. Just completely submerge it for one week, seven days, remove it and rinse in cold water. After it dries , check it's condition , holding it up to a bright light. If it's condition is clearly better, but not clear, soak it another week, and repeat. If there was no improvement, then tumbling is answer.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello! I do know the bottle of which you speak. There are others in better condition out there somewhere . . . keep looking!

milkfloridastore.jpg

Creekwalker is talking about mineral deposits, usually a calcium mineral. A few drops of vinegar or LimeAway or any acid will tell the tale in two minutes or less. Just drip a little down the side, then rinse.
Glass is impervious to even strong acids like muriatic (swimming pool acid); but, there's no reason to soak a foggy bottle for a week. The acid will not help a sick (etched) bottle.

Last edited:

CreekWalker

Reaction score
True, true, and I base that on our local soil , which must be dripping calcium! Thanks, Harry.
Cow_smile.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky