My kind of spring cleaning, surface hunting flint , chert, obsidian relics.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
The fields are plowed and planted, the spring rains have settled the soil clods. It's time to surface hunt native American relics, if it's allowed in your state. You may find other items, marbles, for one, glass and pottery shards, which lead to further investigation of the area, coins, (yes, they do wash out) and fossils. Whose hunting? Here's last weeks Illinois finds, by Fieldwalker, my son in law. IMG_4444.jpg

Last edited:

sunrunner

Reaction score
I would do the same thing on Ohio years ago.

RCO

Reaction score
you think there'd be some native artifacts around where I live , never really found any myself or knew where to look for them , also not sure what the rules are here

CreekWalker

Reaction score
It's legal in most states on private property, as long as it's surface hunting, without excavation. Also, unlike privy digging, where we use Sanborn maps, I use the historical record of sites and villages, to locate likely locations.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
We had constant rain this spring, so the plowed fields were watered well, with good sediment of soil clods. We first check, with a local landowner, usually a family acquaintance or friend of a friend, after I've verified there was a native American presence at one time. I look for a hillside field or a bare bluff above a large stream or river. We scout on 4 wheel atv's, looking for flint or chert, since we have none naturedly, point and flint pieces stand out on the loamy soil. So this morning , we went hunting as a family group, with children, after a brief class of what to look for , we starting on a newly planted field. The area was rich with sandstone chunks, and cobble stones, so, the grand children kept anything that looked like a tomahawk , celt or grind stone. The plow and disc had broken many a good projectile point, but we found a few complete ones, and a lot of heartbreakers. The first photo is the result of this morning hunt after weeding out the sandstone tomahawks. 5-28-16 006c.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
After lunch , we went to other location, not as trashy, but with more new growth and ground vegetation, which made spotting relics slightly more difficult. It was slow going, but had similar results, as the morning hunt. Photo posting is quirky tonight, so click on the links.View attachment 172092

Last edited:

CreekWalker

Reaction score
One of the cool points was a narrow fishspear, a Benton or Table Rock type.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 5-28-16 009a.JPG
    5-28-16 009a.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Very nice finds. I'm glad it was a family adventure.

scott

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky