May 29 river dive find Open Pontil Curtis Syrup in flint ! Yay!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hello all - Been diving a bit lately. Posting stuff regularly on my blog (theDowneastDigger) as well.

I did have one dive this week with some good bottles. I was down deep in some grainy sand, digging at the bottom of a river, and dug this nice pontil. I could feel right away, even though I was blinded by the silt I had stirred up, that it was a good old bottle! Really strong embossing, and the indented panels were easy to feel even with rubber gloves on.
It is a Doct Curtis Cherry Syrup New York, in flint glass, open pontil It cleaned up great!

Years ago (when I used to be able to buy bottles, before I was on a family budget), I bought one of these Curtis bottles, I really loved it. Had to sell it later. I had another similar Curtis op flint bottle, said Hygean Oil on it, I think. I always loved these bottles, so I was thrilled to find one. And this one is going on the shelf!
Here's a you tube of when I got the stuff out of the water.
Good luck digging all !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJVijs8YxE

Attachments

• OPcurtis 5.jpg
    OPcurtis 5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 237
  • OP curtis 4.jpg
    OP curtis 4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 215
  • OPcurtis1.jpg
    OPcurtis1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 232

CreekWalker

Reaction score
That's a good one! We find bottle's embossed Curtis Drug Co. in Tn. Not sure if related.

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
That's a great find. Glad your hard work paid off. I had one of the Hygeans years ago and wish I still had it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado