PEPSI:cola embossed from Greensboro, N.C.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Can anyone give some history on this bottle? I picked it up this weekend at a flea market in Louisville. It is ABM. Only thing on the bottom is a B at 12:00 & a 1 at 6:00. The prices on e-bay are all over the place & I can't tell if location or condition affect the price the most. Are these earlier than the scripts?

CreekWalker

Reaction score
In good undamaged condition, $75 to 125, based on past sales. Seems to be scarce.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Very cool Pepsi bottle. Yours has minor damage, so possibly around 30-40$. I agree with CreekWalker if in very good shape. Still it's a great bottle. Hope you got a good deal. The Ayers guide books don't list one with those bottom marks, but lists some similar to yours. All in the 40$ range.

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Thats the price range I suspected. Some case wear & a few scratches, but nothing seriously wrong. I can get rid of the rust & stains. I'll keep looking for some history. Can i assume these are only found with North Carolina cities?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

jblaylock

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Thats the price range I suspected. Some case wear & a few scratches, but nothing seriously wrong. I can get rid of the rust & stains. I'll keep looking for some history. Can i assume these are only found with North Carolina cities?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

The Pepsi Ayer's guide lists 6 versions of the Block-Logo bottle from Greensboro NC. You are looking at a bottle from roughly 1920(s). Based on the other bottles, I agree with the other valuations given, roughly $40.

The Block logo bottle was used in the 1920's by many bottlers. I have one from Norfolk VA, Birmingham NC and Knoxville TN, for example.

Pepsi never achieved a standardized bottle until 1940. They tried on a couple occasions with the Double-Drum bottle and the Pinch bottle, but it didn't work. I once read that Pepsi made 5 attempts to standardize their bottle; script, block, drum, pinch, and I can't remember the other. Prior to the 30s, Pepsi bottlers used what they could have made. That's why early Pepsi bottles are awesome, the styles vary a lot. I flipped through the Ayer's guide and most of the Block bottles are near 1920. My guess, Pepsi made a push to use this format around that time period. The Script bottles typically came before these, usually 1910 and up.

Last edited:

jblaylock

Reaction score
Here's 3 similar in the Ayers book.

9ff86e639f468c5236f0a77ccf0baf0f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CreekWalker

Reaction score
For the rust, try straight white vinegar for a few days. Walmart has cleaning white vinegar in cleaning section with Mr. Clean, Pine-sol, etc. It may even clear up the sick glass , depending on what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Thanks, Creek, for the cleaning tip. That would be safer & cheaper than the oxalic acid for the rust.

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Here are some things I have found out about Greensboro Pepsi. I used the Greensboro business & city directories & other sources found on the web.
1. 1913-1914 Greensboro business directory lists a Pepsi Cola Bottling Works at 634 S Elm. There are some script Pepsi's from this company.
2. 1918-1919 Greensboro directory lists a Greensboro Pepsi Cola Bottling Co. at 109 Lewis, but not the Bottling Works on Elm.
3. 1920 American Bottler Magazine has a few lines about LC Melchor & LF Brunt buying the Greensboro & Highpoint Pepsi Cola bottling plants.
4. Greensboro Pepsi is listed in the 1928-1929 directory, but not the 1935 directory.
5. Brunt & Melchor were assigned a patent for an improved manure spreader in 1929.
6. 1936 Greensboro directory lists the widow of LF Brunt.
Thanks, JBlalock for narrowing down the search.
Does anyone know of a script Pepsi from Greensboro Pepsi? This block style may be the only one this company used.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado