Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Not sure if you seen this label before. leon VernorsGallonCloseup.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Not sure if you seen this label before. leon

View attachment 175143

I don't recall seeing that particular label, but sure Keith has. Because it has "James Vernor Company" on it I suspect its later. Keith will likely know the exact date, but the earliest use of "James Vernor Company" I'm aware of is 1915-1916.

I'm kind of thinking the imagery on this 1897 invoice might have been used on other "stuff" as well. Possibly a variation of it was used on early paper labels. Because it has 33 Woodward Avenue on it, the earliest it can date is 1896. Which is right in the ballpark of the bottles we're looking for ...

Vernor's 1897 Invoice 33 Woodward Avenue.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I just noticed something! The 1897 looks like it was printed on the invoice and not hand written. The month part looks hand written, but not the 1897. Am I seeing things, or what? What say the rest of you "eagle eyes" ?

SODABOB

Reaction score
This 1900 invoice is definitely "ink stamped" ...

Vernor's Ginger Ale Invoice Letterhead 1900 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Question ...

Is it possible the 1897 invoice was the first one and the 1900 ink stamped type were intentionally left blank so they could be used year after year?

hemihampton

Reaction score
I have a Question. I knew the answer before but forgot. in 1896 he moved to 33 Woodward. When was the last time or year he used that 33 Address & when did they change the 33 to a new Address? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

I used to know the answer, too, but have also forgotten. I bet Keith knows!

Hey, Keith

Another question ...

This first image is an extract paper label - but do you know approximately when it was first used?

Notice the "ribbon" graphics.

(Ignore the "1897" in my title - I just did that for my file cataloging).

Vernor 1897 Label Comparison.jpg

Now compare the extract label to the "ribbon" graphics on this 1897 invoice

Vernor 1897 Invoice Siphon Bottles (2).jpg

Connection or Coincidence?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

Anything, including bottles, labels, literature, etc; that has "Detroit's Drink" / "Deliciously Different" associated with it were used later than 1896-97 and don't factor into our search for Vernor's first/earliest soda bottles. Without remembering this it would be really easy to get even more confused than I/We already are. There may be other, later slogans, but those two are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Keith, Do you have any old Vernor's labels that do not have the Reg U.S. Pat Off? LEON.

The earliest paper label bottle in the diamond shape does not have any mention of "registered" on it. The other bottle I have has a slightly different label which lists the number of ounces in the bottle. I believe this was a requirement of the Food and Drug Act of 1906. However, neither of the diamond labels say registered or Reg US Pat Off. Once you get to the delivery boy labels, they say Reg US Pat Off.

I also checked a bunch of my embossed bottles and most do not say registered.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown