Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I have a Question. I knew the answer before but forgot. in 1896 he moved to 33 Woodward. When was the last time or year he used that 33 Address & when did they change the 33 to a new Address? LEON.

1921 it changed to 239.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Question ...

Is it possible the 1897 invoice was the first one and the 1900 ink stamped type were intentionally left blank so they could be used year after year?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if James Vernor kept using whatever he had - stationery, invoices, receipts - until they were gone. It was a thrifty company and I can't picture them throwing out anything they could still use.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Leon

I used to know the answer, too, but have also forgotten. I bet Keith knows!

Hey, Keith

Another question ...

This first image is an extract paper label - but do you know approximately when it was first used?

Notice the "ribbon" graphics.

(Ignore the "1897" in my title - I just did that for my file cataloging).

View attachment 175148

Now compare the extract label to the "ribbon" graphics on this 1897 invoice

View attachment 175149

Connection or Coincidence?

I don't have any valid information on these designs. Looking at Vernor's artwork over the years there are similarities and differences. It was quite often up to the artist to figure out the finer details - like which eye winks on the gnome. (It changes depending on the artist.)

hemihampton

Reaction score
I have a heavy suspicion that the older Vernor's Diamond label should come both ways, with & without the "Reg U.S. Pat Off."
I like to see one with it? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
New Theory ...

I've been struggling on exactly how to word this, but decided to just throw it out there and let the chips fall where they may. The only thing I ask is that you allow me the opportunity to share this new theory of mine whether you agree with it or not, and not to think of me as some type of obstinate trouble maker. It is by no means conclusive and I will do my best to gradually introduce evidence that led me to this new theory. So without further ado, I am currently of the opinion that the following 1896 Detroit, Michigan directory listing for James Vernor is referring to the bottling of Siphon Bottles and not Soda Bottles ...

Vernor 1896 Bottling Detroit Directory.jpg

(To be continued)

hemihampton

Reaction score
New Theory ...

I've been struggling on exactly how to word this, but decided to just throw it out there and let the chips fall where they may. The only thing I ask is that you allow me the opportunity to share this new theory of mine whether you agree with it or not, and not to think of me as some type of obstinate trouble maker. It is by no means conclusive and I will do my best to gradually introduce evidence that led me to this new theory. So without further ado, I am currently of the opinion that the following 1896 Detroit, Michigan directory listing for James Vernor is referring to the bottling of Siphon Bottles and not Soda Bottles ...

View attachment 175154

(To be continued)

I'm familiar with all those other names on the list & they all made Hutch's (which I have ) except Fielder that made a stoneware & blackburn never heard of. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
It seems like if all the soda competition in town & all around you are bottling with the Hutch wouldn't you do the same? Maybe the Vernor's hutch so rare it's just never been found? I know, far fetched & I doubt it but you never know? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

We're thinking along the same lines, again! Do you happen to know if any of those bottler's you are familiar with ever used a Crown-closure bottle in 1896-97?

hemihampton

Reaction score
I do have some of those other Company bottles in a crown top but don't know if they would be from the late 1890's or tooled crown top. LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18