Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
We've seen this Vernor's 1897 invoice before - But let's take another look at it ...

Note: This is not the sum and total of my new theory, but it definitely had a major influence on it. There are certain aspects about the invoice that I feel are obvious. Which are ...

1. The 1897 is lithographed on the invoice and not hand written. Suggesting it was intentional and specific to 1897.

2. It depicts the image of a soda fountain outfit.

3. It depicts the image of a siphon bottle.

4. It shows the sale of "6 Siphon Ginger Ale" for a total of $1.20. Which is 20-cents each.

5. It confirms Vernor's Ginger Ale was sold in siphon bottles in 1897.

6. It does not depict the image of a soda bottle. Which suggest (to me) that Vernor's Ginger Ale was not available in a Hutchinson or Crown bottle in 1897.

Vernor 1897 Invoice Siphon Bottles (4).jpg

Footnote: I honestly feel if Vernor's Ginger Ale was being bottled as a typical soft drink in 1897 that the invoice would have depicted the image of such a bottle. And yet the 1896 Detroit Directory, which was the previous year, list James Vernor in the "Bottlers" section. But can we say with 100% certainty that the term "Bottler" does not also include siphon bottlers?

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bob, Got got most of my crowntops packed in box's & scattered about. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Bob, Got got most of my crowntops packed in box's & scattered about. LEON.

Leon

Been there, done that! That's one of the reasons I sold about 400 bottles a few months ago. Please check 'em out when you get the time.

Thanks

hemihampton

Reaction score
If I could sell most of my 3,000 beer cans it would give me more room to put more bottles up. That's the plan. Someday. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of 1897 ...

( Just one example of what was going on at the time )

Life Magazine ~ 1897

Hires 1897 Life Magazine.jpg

Hires 1897 Life Magazine Crown Bottle.jpg

The exact date for this bottle is unknown, but it is strikingly similar to the bottle depicted in the 1897 Ad

Hires Bottle Paper Label Crown.jpg

Footnote: In 1893, Hires offered bottled rootbeer for the first time.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Which takes us back to this Vernor's siphon bottle of Keith's ... (Date Unknown)

I fully acknowledge in the center of the etching it says "Druggist" Based on everything we've seen, I think we all agree that James Vernor quit the drug business in 1896. Which might mean this siphon bottle is connected with James Vernor's drug store at 235 Woodward Avenue. If my assumption is correct, then it suggest he was involved with siphon bottles prior to relocating to 33 Woodward Avenue. Which helps support my new theory because it might explain the siphon bottle depicted on the 1897 invoice. Also, please be reminded the 1896 Detroit Directory I posted earlier includes both 235 Woodward Avenue and 33 Woodward Avenue - indicating a transition between the two locations.

Note: I acknowledge this siphon bottle does not have ginger ale etched on it. At least not on the side that Keith photographed.

Vernor's Ginger Ale Siphon Bottle Keith Date Unknown.jpg

Vernor's Ginger Ale Siphon Bottle Spout Head Keith Date Unknown.jpg

Vernor's Ginger Ale Siphon Bottle Etched Close up Druggist  Keith Date Unknown.jpg

Compare the etched druggist mortar & pestle on the siphon bottle to the mortar & pestle sign on Vernor's 235 Woodward Avenue drug store

Vernor 235 Woodward describe as circa 1870.jpg

Vernor 235 Woodward circa 1870.jpg

1897 invoice, again

Vernor 1897 Invoice Siphon Bottles (4).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
It seems like if all the soda competition in town & all around you are bottling with the Hutch wouldn't you do the same? Maybe the Vernor's hutch so rare it's just never been found? I know, far fetched & I doubt it but you never know? LEON.

Leon

Since I'm acknowledging things, I want to acknowledge this post of yours and say I agree there is a possibility that Vernor's Ginger Ale might have initially been bottled in a Hutchinson bottle. However, because an (embossed) example has never surfaced, at least not that I'm aware of, suggest if such a critter ever exist that it was most likely un-embossed and had a paper label.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the fun of it ...

This is the earliest catalog I'm aware that discusses siphon bottles and includes their various sizes and wholesale prices ...

Illinois Glass Company ~ 1906

(The wholesale prices were likely less in 1897 - But just how much less I don't know)

Illinois Glass Catalog 1906 Siphons.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
More 1897 ...

The Detroit Free Press ~ Detroit, Michigan ~ September 10, 1897

Hires 1897 Carbonated Bottles Detroit Free Press September 10, 1897.jpg

(Approximately 8-cents per bottle)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

The ginger ale siphon bottles listed on the 1897 Vernor's invoice were priced at 6-cents each. And if resold, they were probably marked up. But just how much they might have been marked up, I don't know.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora