Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Thanks for your Research Bob, Wish I could of Contributed more. LEON.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for everything Bob, Leon and others. Due to all the impressive resources Bob brought to the table, I bought myself one month of the Detroit Free Press archives. Detroit also had the Detroit News and Detroit Times. Seeing that the Detroit Free Press was originally called the Democratic Free Press and Vernor was a Republican, I wonder if he put more of his advertising money other places?

Also, stay tuned. My plan is to take a half day off of work next week and go downtown to the library and do some research. This question intrigues me and I'd love to find proof.

Also, regarding paper label bottles, the photo attached is a paper label from Windsor that went for $24 after the delivery boy sold. Of course, not nearly as old, but still tough to find. Seems like a good price compared to the other one.

Attachments

• Windsor bottle PL.jpg
    Windsor bottle PL.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 76

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

I can't wait to see what you find in the newspaper archives. I'm ready to send you the ACL book if/when you find a relevant reference that pertains to the questionable dates, locations, products that I raised. If you have never searched newspaper archives, be sure and search for addresses in connection with specific dates. Sometimes addresses such as "235 Woodard Avenue" don't always have the name "Vernor" associated with them but will still shed some light on what was going on at that particular address in a particular year. The fewer search words you use the easier it is to find what you are looking for among what may total millions of "pages." The newspaper archives I'm subscribed to has 190,397,990 "pages" (they add more pages almost daily) and it goes all the way back to the 1700s

Staying Tuned!

Bob

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Keith

To receive the free ACL book, all you have to find is ...

1. The words "Vernor" and "Ginger Ale" in the same sentence/paragraph, dated 1879 or earlier.

2. The words "Vernor" and "Soda Fountain" in the same sentence/paragraph, dated 1879 or earlier.

3. Or any similar, but relevant, combination of those words that are specific and dated 1879 or earlier.

Good Luck! I truly hope you find something!

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
In the meantime ...

Because I don't want to disappoint anyone who was looking forward to participating in a chance to receive a free ACL book, I still plan on doing that and hope to have something put together in a day or two. If Keith comes up with a qualifying reference I will send him an ACL book separately just for him.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I suppose there's no reason to wait any longer - here's what I came up with for the free acl book ...

The first person who can tell us "exactly" what every word is on the sign that's displayed on the wall of James Vernor's drug store in this circa 1870s photograph will receive a free ACL Soda Bottle book.

Notes:

1. This does not apply to Keith because he's on his own quest and I don't think it would be fair to everyone else.

2. You can enter as many guesses/entries as you want, but they must be the "exact" wording for every part of the sign to win.

3. Because I only know some of what it says, to win the book you have to be able to convince the majority of us that your guess/entry is accurate. If it comes down to it, we'll take a vote and let the majority opinion be the determining factor. That way we all have a say in it, which I think will be fairer and more fun.

The main reason I'm presenting it in this manner is because I'm dying to know what the parts of the sign say that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Knowing "exactly" what the sign says may be the missing clue we have been looking for all along!

Footnote:

If no one can figure out what the sign says within one week from today, (Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Eastern Time), then I will come up with something else. I just don't want it to be a "pick a number" kind of thing.

Signed,

Sodabob

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Vernor 235 Woodward describe as circa 1870.jpg

Vernor 235 Woodward circa 1870.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Keith

Did you receive the PM (Personal Message) I sent you the other day? If you are not familiar with them, please go to your "Settings" and make the necessary changes to receive them.

Thanks

Bob

Edit: Keith received my PM so we're good-to-go on that!

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

About a week ago I came across a "painting" someone did of Vernor's Drug Store that they used the 1870s photo as a source for the painting. However, I did not save a picture of it and having difficulty finding again. If anyone finds it, please share it with us. But don't get your hopes up about the sign being accurate. The artist obviously painted in the wrong information that he apparently just guessed about. He also painted a street sign on the corner of the sidewalk that said "At-Water Ave" that was also obviously incorrect. Anyway, if you come across the painting, please post it just for the fun of it.

Thanks!

SODABOB

Reaction score
To Clarify ...

In the original free book offer I said if the winner recently purchased an ACL book from me that I would send them $60.00 instead. That still applies to the original offer but not this new one involving the sign. If the winner of this sign offer recently purchased an ACL book from me, then I'll just send them another book that they can either keep, trade, or sell at their discretion.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu