Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen this one ...

Now that's how to load a truck with cases of Vernor's Ginger Ale! Not one case at a time, but all at once, including the truck-bed itself! Check out that overhead loader/conveyor.

Vernor's Truck 1924.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Never seen that pic before, the truck looks older then 1924? LEON.

P.S. Faygo truck for Comparison.faygowoodtruck2.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen this one ...

Now that's how to load a truck with cases of Vernor's Ginger Ale! Not one case at a time, but all at once, including the truck-bed itself! Check out that overhead loader/conveyor.

View attachment 175207

The site where I found the Vernor's truck photo described it as 1924. Of course the truck could be older than the photo. I really don't know. But here's an original ad for a 1924 Chevrolet truck made in Detroit ...

Truck Ad Chevrolet 1924.jpg

This next photo is described as ...

[FONT=&quot]Vernor’s Ginger Ale delivery trucks parked in front of the company bottling plant located on the west side of Woodward Ave just south of Woodbridge St. Mariners Church, located at the n.w. corner of Woodward and Woodbridge, can be seen in the center right area of the photo. c. 1925 (Detroit Hist. Soc.)

[/FONT]
Vernor's Trucks Photo Described as 1925.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
From the Ad's looks like It could be 1924. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'd like to let everyone know that I'm pretty much through contributing to this discussion. I might respond to comments from time to time, but other than that I can't think of anything more I can contribute that I haven't already contributed. I acknowledge that my observations might not be conclusive, but they are the best I can come up with. Speaking of which, it appears to me that ...

1. James Vernor and Charles L'Hommedieu established a drug store in Detroit, Michigan in 1866.

2. James Vernor may or may not have had a commercial soda fountain in his drug store prior to 1880.

3. James Vernor may or may not have sold fountain drinks in his drug store prior to 1880.

4. James Vernor most likely started producing and selling his celebrated ginger ale around 1880-1884, and might have sold it in siphon bottles during that same time period.

5. James Vernor discontinued his drug business and relocated to a larger facility to focus on the mass production of his ginger ale extract in 1896. Which was something he didn't have room to do at his relatively small drug store.

6. Once James Vernor relocated and got the mass production of his ginger ale extract going, he then started focusing on bottling it in a carbonated version.

7. It appears to me the carbonated version of James Vernor's ginger ale in soda bottles was first introduced to the market place around 1902.

Anyhoo, that pretty much sums things up for me personally. I will remain open minded to any and all observations that might be contributed in the future. Again, I do not present any of my observations as being 100% conclusive. They are merely the best I can find.

Thanks in particular to Rich/iggyworf for starting this thread. I'd also like to thank Leon and Keith Wunderlich for their much appreciated and invaluable contributions. And especially to Keith for sharing his amazing Vernor's Ginger Ale collectibles.

Bob

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last but not least ...

This is the earliest reference I can find regarding James Vernor having a commercial soda fountain at his 235 Woodward Avenue drug store. Even though it doesn't include the address, because of the date we know he was still located at his original drug store ...

The Detroit Free Press ~ Detroit, Michigan ~ October 12, 1895

Vernor 1895 Fountain DFP October 12, 1895.jpg

Reminder: I never said he didn't have a soda fountain at 235 Woodward Avenue. I merely said I could not find a time period publication to support the existence of a soda fountain prior to about 1880. Nor am I saying he didn't have a soda fountain prior to the one mentioned in this 1895 newspaper snippet. I'm merely saying its the earliest reference I can find that uses the word "fountain." The other references I posted regarding the loan of a "soda fount" and the sale of a used "Arctic fount" are inconclusive in my opinion. Whereas this one is fairly specific.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Be prepared! If a Vernor's Ginger Ale bottle like those pictured here from Keith's collection ever come up on eBay, I plan to fight tooth & nail for it! I just gotta get me one of them thar bottles!

On second thought - if it has a missing or extremely tattered label, then I might let you have it. Otherwise, watch out! (Lol) :eek:

By the way, I wonder what a bottle like these with an intact label is actually worth? Remember, a delivery boy paper label bottle just sold on eBay for $113

Vernor's Bottles Keith (2).jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Well Bob I will probably be in that fight. But fear I will go down when the bidding gets high.............or will I????????:confused:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Actually, the odds of one ever coming up on eBay are probably pretty slim. But ya just never know. If one ever does become available, Keith will probably outbid both of us.

Soda Jerk Bob.JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
To show I'm a good sport and not a soda jerk, I'm currently working on a way to give away one of the ACL soda bottle books. I'm not sure what I'll come up with just yet, but it will be fair and simple and something that everyone who is interested can participate in.

Signed,

Sodabob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu