Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
I found the Vernor's drug store / pharmacy painting!

As you can see, the artist got some of it right but not all of it. For one thing, he added the gentlemen standing outside that came from a later photo. Plus, there's the 'At-water' street sign I spoke about. Not to mention that some of the text on the building itself is totally bogus. So, if anyone intends to submit the painting as an entry, I'm pretty sure it will get voted down.

Vernor's Drug Store Painting (2).jpg

Vernor's Drug Store Painting (4).jpg

Vernor's Drug Store circa 1870s.jpg

Vernor 235 Woodward describe as circa 1870.jpg

Vernor's Drug Store Photo by Herman J Tenney and Company.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's what it sez. LEON.Vernor 235 Woodward circa 1870.jpg

P.S. Double click pic to supersize.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

If you can prove your entry beyond a shadow of a doubt, then you receive the book. Otherwise, I suggest we put it to a vote. I'm not the Judge & Jury here, but I just don't see what you see. In the attached image I placed question marks next to the parts I question. The rest of it I see and agree with!

Vernor Drug Store Sign Leon.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I've been working on this too - but trying to fit things in based on the general size of the letters. By determining the size of the letters I hope to determine how many letters there might be per line. And from there, what the words themselves might be. Here's what I came up with using Leon's image. I realize its just a start, but hopefully it will give you some idea of how I'm approaching this. Because I'm sort of the moderator here, I'm not sure I should be helping out like this, but the way I see things, this isn't going to be easy to figure out and I just thought I help speed things up.

Hey, Leon

I'm not saying your entry is right or wrong - that's up to the jury. But because I have a dog in this hunt, I thought it would be okay for me to put in my 2-cents worth.

Leon's Image

Vernor Drug Store Sign Leon (2).jpg

Leon's Image - My Editing

( Letters size based on width more so than height )

Vernor Drug Store Sign Leon (4).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just trying to lend a helping hand - Images just enhanced and darkened

Vernor Drug Store Sign circa 1870 (3).jpg

Vernor Drug Store Sign circa 1870.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
From what I've been reading, Vernor's went to a Soda Beverage Exhibition in New York in 1868. It was implied at this Exhibition where he got the idea to work on a Ginger Ale Formula & he did in 1868. This info came from a 1919 book. Anybody else read this? LEON.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I have not read that book, but would like too.

Leon's answers to the pic seem pretty close, but I will study it more.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I might have the wording figured out where I placed the red arrow on the attached image. Because I'm not allowed a guess, I will have to refrain from saying what I think it might be. However, if I did say what I think it might be, and it was put to a vote, it wouldn't surprise me if a number of individuals might agree. The only thing I can think of along the lines of presenting a clue without disclosing it entirely, is to say I think ...

1. Its two words

2. The two words contain a total of 17 letters

Vernor Drug Store Sign circa 1870 Arrow.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If you think its proper for me to give more clues, I will. But I need to hear from some of you first to let me know its okay.

SODABOB

Reaction score
A few things I can say about the signage that I don't think anyone will object to are ...

1. The photo was likely taken sometime between 1866 and 1876

2. Some accounts describe the photo as being taken in 1870

3. Some accounts say it was circa 1870s

4. So what I did was to search Detroit newspaper ads between 1866 and 1876 to see what type of terminology druggist were using during that time period. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I discovered that a lot of the druggist used the same "two word" term that contained a total of "17 letters" and that those two words might be the words I placed the red arrow next to.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu