Muskoka lakes swim finds summer 2016

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I figured out where the Huntsville dump was , this article seems to indicate the dump was the swamp near the downtown known now as brendale square plaza , it would be impossible to dig there as its all paved over now
Garbage disposal in the
’30s was considered
a personal matter, and a
community which provided
a site for this purpose
had fulfilled its function.
Huntsville gave this
provision prime consideration,
for its dump was
located on Main Street at
John Street in the area
affectionately known as
“The Swamp.” The site,
later occupied by the A&P
Plaza, with the exception
of the corner of Union
Garage and the future
Brendale Square, was a vast
sea of rushes and weeds.

http://media.cottagecountrynow.ca/special/muskokasun/data/pdfs/42/A18.pdf

RCO

Reaction score
just found this mini quart milk jug when swimming the other day , wasn't sure where it was from but after some research its local to this area and from a small dairy in Milford Bay Ontario - Brooklands Dairy , too bad its broken

P8260001.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hmm yeah that's definitely not somewhere that you can dig, at least not unless they ever decide to redevelop that area. Which could happen, around here they're starting to knock down those old mid-century plazas and build condos on them. Not that I'd expect anyone to build condos in Huntsville, but it does seem like those properties are starting to near the end of their useful lives.

Do you know when the dam at the locks was installed? Because the 1930's is a bit late for dump digging, so there may be an older dump somewhere else.

RCO

Reaction score
Hmm yeah that's definitely not somewhere that you can dig, at least not unless they ever decide to redevelop that area. Which could happen, around here they're starting to knock down those old mid-century plazas and build condos on them. Not that I'd expect anyone to build condos in Huntsville, but it does seem like those properties are starting to near the end of their useful lives.

Do you know when the dam at the locks was installed? Because the 1930's is a bit late for dump digging, so there may be an older dump somewhere else.

it sounds like that dump was used earlier than the 30's , that swamp lot would of been empty for a while and likely used for dumping going back to early days of town .

there has been a dam at the locks for a while , the locks have been there since at least early 1900's , is postcards of boats there from that time period

do agree that lot isn't going to be dug anytime soon , although it could be redeveloped at some point , most of the stores in that plaza are empty . beer store left for a new location , lcbo left a couple years ago and the dollarama moved to mall 2 years ago , think only business still open in first plaza is a Chinese restaurant . the second brendale square plaza is more full though with a home hardware and fresh co .
there are actually a number of smaller condo's around muskoka , haven't been as many built last couple years but was a bit of a building boom maybe 5-10 years ago a few smaller condo's were built is a couple along the river maybe 5 stories high near the centre street bridge in Huntsville , I could see a condo going on that lot but be a disaster to build due to that lot and whats likely down there and history of flooding on that property , it floods most springs that lot

RCO

Reaction score
found a picture of one of them , this build and one identical beside it were built along the muskoka river in town maybe 15 years ago . is also a large number of condo's on the deerhurst resort property. been a couple other condo's built in town as well , one further up centre street near the home depot , think there mostly aiming for retiree's from Toronto to move up here and into them

303_35_dairy_lane_huntsville_ontario_p1h2l8_7170005464850299376.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
couple bottles I found swimming this weekend near a park , 2 coca cola's from 50's , 2 mepp's fishing lures , broken London gin bottle and a broken JD brown bottle .

g.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the JD browns bottle is very unusual , haven't found it before , its clear and has similar embossing to other JD brown bottles. but its for a very small bottle , not sure what product went in it , not aware of them doing a juice type drink but it be very small for pop ?

found a picture of what a complete bottle looks like online , don't recall seeing one for sale anywhere before .

P8280001.jpg54A666F8EC5B47FAB235E81F84AF8CF9.jpg

mctaggart67

Reaction score
The small J.D. Brown is known as a split, a term imported from the wine industry for a bottle of such a relatively small volume (basically a quarter of a standard wine bottle/imperial pint bottle). They were used to supply bars, restaurants and even trains, in which smaller servings of pop were called for. Your Brown split is a tough bottle to find in that condition and is, I think, the hardest Brown, Gravenhurst bottle style to find. Good on you!

RCO

Reaction score
The small J.D. Brown is known as a split, a term imported from the wine industry for a bottle of such a relatively small volume (basically a quarter of a standard wine bottle/imperial pint bottle). They were used to supply bars, restaurants and even trains, in which smaller servings of pop were called for. Your Brown split is a tough bottle to find in that condition and is, I think, the hardest Brown, Gravenhurst bottle style to find. Good on you!

that is some useful information , I haven't seen or found one of these bottles before . I only found the broken shard of one yesterday when swimming , the complete one was posted by another collector from gravenhurst to this site a while back . it wouldn't surprise me that it is one of the harder JD brown bottles to find as I can't recall even seeing one before

mctaggart67

Reaction score
No probs. Ontario splits, in general, are hard to find, though J. Tune & Sons, London, and Pilgrim Bros., Hamilton, seem to show up regularly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu