Muskoka lakes swim finds summer 2016

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi RCO. I was just looking at the maps of Muskoga. Holy crap thats a big body of water. I would think there are multiple areas to look. Are you scuba diving there?

RCO

Reaction score
Hi RCO. I was just looking at the maps of Muskoga. Holy crap thats a big body of water. I would think there are multiple areas to look. Are you scuba diving there?

no not scuba diving , just swimming around docks and parks with my diving mask . I can't go into the much deeper areas where there might also be bottles .
there is a lot of lakes around muskoka , I've been in many of them . lake muskoka is very big , so is lake rosseau . there is a couple areas of lake rosseau and Lake joseph that are 300 ft deep , guess no one will be diving there . but most other areas of that lake are fairly shallow if your close to the shore areas .
I've wanted to go swimming on Georgian bay too and parry sound area to look for some hard to find parry sound bottles but never really found any good locations . I went swimming on Georgian bay once this summer at parry sound but didn't find anything really .

coldwater diver

Reaction score
RCO the bottles or household trash wont be that deep unless there is a wreck down there. Lookfor old maps showing where homesteads were. they would have done there spring cleaning when ice was still thick enough to drag a years worth of debris and such out far enough to not become a problem on shore where they swam. waded etc.. When it(ice) thawed it sank and there these piles sit to this day. Your surface picks show promise. Get certified looks like your in agreat big area w lots of history. Good luck and watch out for boats. Kevin

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've always thought about learning to scuba dive but it sure does look expensive and the murky depths of the rivers do kind of creep me out. There are some guys who dive for bottles around here but when I look at what they post on the Quebec forum they rarely pull anything out with any age to it. Seems to me like they're diving in the wrong river, since they only ever seem to dive the one which wasn't used for dumping in the 19th century, but maybe the other river is too dangerous or something.

RCO

Reaction score
RCO the bottles or household trash wont be that deep unless there is a wreck down there. Lookfor old maps showing where homesteads were. they would have done there spring cleaning when ice was still thick enough to drag a years worth of debris and such out far enough to not become a problem on shore where they swam. waded etc.. When it(ice) thawed it sank and there these piles sit to this day. Your surface picks show promise. Get certified looks like your in agreat big area w lots of history. Good luck and watch out for boats. Kevin

have heard other people tell me about how garbage was left on the ice to melt away in the spring and how there could be dump piles in some of the lakes . but personally haven't found one yet . but its highly likely such dumps exist in this area considering how many lakes there are and how many towns were rate beside them .

there are places here that teach scuba diving and certify divers , there very expensive and with only really 1 month left of this swim season i'll just continue doing what I'm doing for now . maybe during the winter if I get bored i'll look more into diving options

RCO

Reaction score
I've always thought about learning to scuba dive but it sure does look expensive and the murky depths of the rivers do kind of creep me out. There are some guys who dive for bottles around here but when I look at what they post on the Quebec forum they rarely pull anything out with any age to it. Seems to me like they're diving in the wrong river, since they only ever seem to dive the one which wasn't used for dumping in the 19th century, but maybe the other river is too dangerous or something.

I don't know what rivers would be worth checking around Ottawa , I'd imagine there'd be some bottles there somewhere if you could ever find them . there must also be a lot of logging waste around Ottawa from all the mills , there is still places here filled with old logs and cuttings from mills

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The Rideau river is full of bottles, at least the banks of it are. I'm not sure why no one ever seems to dive it, the section that's full of bottles isn't part of the UNESCO heritage site that the canal is, so I wouldn't think it would be illegal. The Ottawa river is full of logs, there are so many logs sitting on the bottom that there's a company that fishes the logs up from the bottom and makes them into beautiful high-end furniture. The Ottawa river is not, however, full of bottles, apart from modern beer bottles. I would have thought that Hull would have dumped some of its garbage into the river but where Hull dumped its trash before the 40's or so is still a mystery. I've walked around a lot of the island and all I've found is mosquitoes, homeless camps, and old rubble. I have a bad feeling that when the government expropriated and demolished huge swaths of Ottawa and Hull in the sixties they dumped all the rubble on top of wherever the bottles are buried.

RCO

Reaction score
some more finds from a river area near some docks . broken liquor bottle , JD browns pop bottle ( which is older version from 30's or 40's ) , clear Hinds Orillia bottle , broken 7 oz green , 51 coca cola and larger coke .

b.jpgbrowns.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the clear Hinds Orillia Ontario bottle I found , glass is in good condition but the acl is almost entirely gone , although you can clearly see it if you put it up to lights. beside it is what one looks with acl , this bottle be from late 50's or early 60's

hinds.jpghindsclear.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
some more bottles I found last weekend at another location , 2 older coca cola's from early 40's , 2 broken beer bottles , a broken 7 oz Canada dry and a mountain dew ( however acl mostly came off once I took it out of water )

bb.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18