Another Amber 7up Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Its time for a few more comparisons to see it these marks are the same or just similar ...

7up Bottle Amber San Diego 29S6 Jb Forum July 2016.jpg

29S Pepsi Pinch iggy forum 2016.jpg

29S Pepsi Cola Bottle Morbious_fod website.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

According to various, reliable accounts, the Owens-Illinois Glass Company was officially established on ...

April 17, 1929

... which was four months before the Pepsi Cola 'Pinch' bottle patent was filed on August 20, 1929

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Update ...

I can only speak for myself, but based on what I've seen so far I'm strongly leaning toward the possibility that Jb's 29S6 amber bottle was made in 1929. As for the ACL 7up label on the 29S6 amber bottle, well, that's a horse of a different color that has me totally confused because everything I know about 7up ACLs points to it as being a 1935 label at the very earliest. However, I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet and will keep searching and hoping for a logical explanation to present itself. The best explanation I can think of at the moment is that a 1929 bottle was repurposed with a 1935 ACL label. But even that is unconfirmed and subject to controversy and needs more research to either confirm or refute. 1929 to 1935 is six years, and that seems like an awfully long time for any glass company to continue using old-stock bottles.

Last edited:

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Bob I have not had a chance to read through all of your posts on this thread yet.
Hopefully, by the end of this week, I will be able to photograph both the 29S6 bottle and the Howdy paper label. My home is in disarray with a flooring install and all my bottles are in a cabinet in a room filled with furniture.

The Howdy Amber Bottle has on the label:
Best Ever Bottle Co
Phone Arcadia (2543 or 2943)
Arcadia, Calif
The Howdy Co

Update: I found pictures of the Amber Paper label.

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jb

Your "Best Ever Bottling Co." bottle is mucho interesting. If it wasn't for the paper label there would be no way of identifying it as being a 7up bottle. I took a quick look around and according to this first ad about their 11th anniversary it places their start date at about 1924. I haven't been able to determine yet if they ever bottled Howdy Orange or when they first started bottling 7up, other than they were definitely bottling it in 1935 as the second ad indicates. Notice in the first ad that their phone number was 2343. The owner/manager was a gentleman by the name of Charles Beery. The majority of the ads I've seen for the company are for a brand of beer called "Balboa." I'll continue to look around and see what else I can find.

By the way, what is the date number on the base? (Which is an Owens-Illinois mark) The 9 is for Streator, Illinois ... 9 <(I)> ?

Arcadia Tribune - December 21, 1934

7up Best Ever Bottling Arcadia Tribune Dec 21, 1934.jpg

Arcadia Tribune - August 2, 1935 - 11th Anniversary = 1924

Notice it says they were the only bottlers of 7up in the eastern part of Los Angeles County at the time.

7up Best Ever Bottling Arcadia Tribune August 2, 1935.jpg

Last edited:

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Jb

Your "Best Ever Bottling Co." bottle is mucho interesting. If it wasn't for the paper label there would be no way of identifying it as being a 7up bottle. I took a quick look around and according to this first ad about their 11th anniversary it places their start date at about 1924. I haven't been able to determine yet if they ever bottled Howdy Orange or when they first started bottling 7up, other than they were definitely bottling it in 1935 as the second ad indicates. Notice in the first ad that their phone number was 2343. The owner/manager was a gentleman by the name of Charles Beery. The majority of the ads I've seen for the company are for a brand of beer called "Balboa." I'll continue to look around and see what else I can find.

By the way, what is the date number on the base? (Which is an Owens-Illinois mark) The 9 is for Streator, Illinois ... 9 <(I)> ?

Arcadia Tribune - December 21, 1934

View attachment 173561

Arcadia Tribune - August 2, 1935 - 11th Anniversary = 1924

Notice it says they were the only bottlers of 7up in the eastern part of Los Angeles County at the time.

View attachment 173562

Okay youve found more than I was able to about Best Ever Bottling CO!

9 <O> 6
are the markings on the bottom.
Also the number 2343 is correct to my label! 2543 was a typo.
It is a 6 1/2 fl oz bottle as well.

Yes, I know without the label it would impossible to tell it was a 7up bottle.
Ive seen so many fake paper labels out there, but this one appeared legitimate having The Howdy Co on the label and the paper seems correctly aged.
It is missing the bubble girl portion of the label.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
7update ...

Those of us who are familiar with the early-day history of 7up know that bottlers were required to provide their own bottles, which explains the various sizes and colors that appeared on the market until they finally got a handle on standardizing. Some of those early paper label bottles were green and some were amber colored.

Notice in this "Best Ever Bottling Company" advertisement where they refer to three different sized bottles for their "Balboa" beer.

The Covina Argus ~ Covina, California ~ July 6, 1934

(Covina is near Arcadia, California)

Best Ever Bottling Covina Ca July 6, 1934.jpg

Notice the three different "Balboa" beer bottles in this next ad.

The Covina Argus ~ July 13, 1934

Best Ever Bottling Covina Ca July 13, 1934 (2).jpg

I wonder if Jb's "Best Ever Bottling Company" amber, paper label 7up bottle started out as a "Balboa" beer bottle?

Best Ever Bottling Covina Ca July 13, 1934.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Back to the 29S6 7up ACL ...

I thought this was extremely interesting. I believe its a 'transition' mark used by Owens-Illinois in 1930. Notice it has the typical Owens-Illinois <(I)> mark but without the plant code and date code on either side. However, it does have 30S. I believe the S stands for their Streator, Illinois plant and the 30 stands for 1930. I'm still digesting this information and will be back later with some comments.

Brand = Broadway Dry Ginger Ale - New York

Base ...

Owens Illinois Broadway Dry New York NY  - 30S For Illinois Glass Streator Ill.jpg

Bottle ...

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/broadway-dry-ginger-ale-soda-bottle-119405096

Broadway Dry Ginger Ale Bottle 1930.jpg

Sign ...

Broadway Dry Ginger Ale Sign.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the original patent for the Broadway Dry bottle.

https://www.google.com/patents/USD80808

Notice ..

1. It was filed on December 28, 1929
2. It was registered on March 25, 1930
3. It doesn't have the Broadway Dry embossed script
4. It was designed by William Root, who was the son of Chapman Root, who was the president of the Root Glass Company

The Root Glass Company was bought by the Owens-Illinois Glass Company in 1932. Which tells us when the bottle was registered and patented it had nothing to do with Owens-Illinois. And yet, the Broadway Dry bottle I posted clearly has an Owens-Illinois mark. But don't be confused by this because it was not unusual for one glass maker to produce a bottle that was designed by another glass maker. I believe it was just a simple manner of paying a royalty to the original designer and that was that. It wouldn't surprise me if we looked around enough that we'd eventually find a Broadway Dry bottle that was made by the Root Glass Company. But what I find most interesting of all about this is the Owens-Illinois mark along with the 30S mark. Based on what I've seen, I'm currently of the opinion the <(I)> 30S is an Owens-Illinois mark for 1930/Streator, and that the 29S mark on Jb's 7up bottle was also by Owens-Illinois and stands for 1929/Streator.

Root Bottle Patent 80808 1929 1930.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
However ...

This doesn't mean I believe the ACL label on Jb's 7up bottle was applied in 1929. I'm having a real problem with that! I'm still leaning toward a circa 1935 ACL label applied to a repurposed 1929 bottle!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi